Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kinnoir Old Church,church 550m WSW of Corse of Kinnoir

A Scheduled Monument in Huntly, Strathbogie and Howe of Alford, Aberdeenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4768 / 57°28'36"N

Longitude: -2.7616 / 2°45'41"W

OS Eastings: 354427

OS Northings: 843205

OS Grid: NJ544432

Mapcode National: GBR M8JY.ZLR

Mapcode Global: WH7LL.KB5K

Entry Name: Kinnoir Old Church,church 550m WSW of Corse of Kinnoir

Scheduled Date: 17 February 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5619

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Huntly

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Huntly, Strathbogie and Howe of Alford

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of the old parish church of Kinnoir.

The church was dedicated to St Marnan, who is thought to have been buried here in the middle of the 7th century. His relics were thought to have been preserved here, and were the object of pilgrimages until the 16th century. The parsonage of Kinnoir was erected into a prebend of Elgin Cathedral around AD 1222.

Only the foundations of the church survive. It is situated in the N quadrant of a rectangular graveyard, E of the River Deveron and 550m WSW of Corse of Kinnoir farm. The footings define a single-chambered building measuring 17m NE-SW by 7m NW-SE over walls 0.65m thick and 0.2m high. From the SW end extending for 2.8m along the line of the

NW wall is a portion of the exposed foundations, stray stones having been placed over the line of this section.

A stone is exposed at the E angle. The church bell (removed to Strathbogie Church) inscription explains that it was obtained in 1653. Kinnoir is likely to have remained in use into the 18th century. The parishes of Kinnoir and Dunbennan became known collectively as Huntly in 1725.

The area to be scheduled is rectangular, extending 2m from the exterior of the wall foundations, and measures a maximum of 21m NE-SW by 11m NW-SE, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a member, albeit reduced, of a large group of churches that were the main centres of worship forming the parish network throughout Medieval Scotland. As such it has the potential, through archaeological investigation, to contribute to our understanding of ecclesiastical architecture, sources of patronage, Medieval society and material culture during the period of its construction, use and subsequent abandonment.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NJ54SW 1.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.