Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tullich,church,burial ground and symbol stones

A Scheduled Monument in Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside, Aberdeenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.0649 / 57°3'53"N

Longitude: -3.0065 / 3°0'23"W

OS Eastings: 339060

OS Northings: 797547

OS Grid: NO390975

Mapcode National: GBR WH.8SH3

Mapcode Global: WH7ND.SPJB

Entry Name: Tullich,church,burial ground and symbol stones

Scheduled Date: 16 November 1923

Last Amended: 5 October 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM86

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: cross-incised stone

Location: Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of the medieval church and burial enclosure of Tullich, which is thought to overlie the archaeological remains of an earlier chapel, traditionally supposed to have been built by St Nathalan in the 7th century. Also included in the scheduling is a Class 1 Pictish symbol stone, a large font- stone and a collection of cross-incised markers. St Nathalan's relics were preserved at Tullich until the Reformation. In the 13th century the lands of Tullich and the church were given to the Knights Templars; they later passed to the Hospitallers. The rectangular-plan church is constructed in granite rubble and has recently been re-pointed. Its dimensions are 24.3m E-W by 8.9m N-S, over walls 1m thick. The walls are intact apart from a large gap in the N wall and in the E gable adjoining the N wall. The church was divided into three burial enclosures after its replacement in 1798. The E gable is intact but the W one has been reduced and capped.The S elevation contains 2 doorways, one at each end, and 4 windows, all of which are chamfered, square-headed and grooved for glazing. The doorway near the W end of the N wall is blocked, but has a pointed arch and early 15th-century mouldings, including a hoodmould with much-weathered sculptured dripstones. In this doorway, enclosed by padlocked metal railings, is a Pictish symbol stone with a double disc and Z-rod, elephant and mirror. This stone is thought to be of 7th-century date. There is also a large font-stone of pink granite which used to stand in the W end of the kirk. Also gathered here are three large (c.1.5m high) cross incised stones and twelve smaller cross-incised markers and three architectural fragments. A modern graveyard wall overlies the original burial enclosure wall, traces of which can be seen beneath the new wall along its S arc. The N portion of the original enclosure is obscured by a later cemetery extension. The dimensions of the old walled circular burial ground are 51m N-S, by 55m E-W; the visible portion of the enclosure wall extends 2m from the modern wall and is 0.6m high. The area to be scheduled is roughly circular, extending 6m from the old cemetery wall, measuring a maximum of 67m E-W by 63m N-S, excluding the path which cuts the S arc of the burial ground, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as an ecclesiastical building which provides above ground architectural evidence from the early fifteenth century. In addition it occupies the site of an earlier chapel and burial ground which have the potential to provide evidence, through excavation, that may clarify the location, ground'plan and architectural development and contribute to our understanding of the diffusion of the early celtic church, monastic settlement and material culture in Scotland from the seventh century.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS NO 39 NE 2

Easson, D E (1957) "Medieval Religious Houses Scot", 1957, 132.

Easson, D E (1922) "The Deeside Field Club",16.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.