Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eassie Old Church and cross slab

A Scheduled Monument in Kirriemuir and Dean, Angus

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6145 / 56°36'52"N

Longitude: -3.0565 / 3°3'23"W

OS Eastings: 335252

OS Northings: 747453

OS Grid: NO352474

Mapcode National: GBR VH.J7Y5

Mapcode Global: WH7QQ.00SL

Entry Name: Eassie Old Church and cross slab

Scheduled Date: 1 November 1921

Last Amended: 17 October 2002

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM90125

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: cross slab; Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Eassie and Nevay

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Kirriemuir and Dean

Traditional County: Angus

Description

The monuments comprise the remains of a cross slab of Pictish date and Eassie Old Church. The cross slab is set within a modern protective shelter in the corner of the church and is in the care of the Scottish Ministers. The present rescheduling is to extend protection to cover the whole of the church.

The cross slab is a Class II symbol stone and comprises an upright sandstone slab measuring c.2m high by c.1m wide by c.0.25m thick. On its front face, carved in relief, is a cross with two angels, an unmounted figure bearing a spear and shield, a stag, a hound and an unidentifiable beast. On the reverse in the top left corner is an elephant over a double-disc and Z-rod.

Below these are illustrations of figures and cattle, and to the right the remains of a horseshoe above an elephant. All are typical motifs of the Pictish, or Early Historic period. The cross slab was moved to its present position in modern times, having been found in the bed of a stream in the 18th century.

Eassie Church is rectangular in plan, measuring c.17.2 by 4.7m. The northern and southern walls stand to a height of about 2m and the gables are complete. The walls are c.0.8m thick. The church was dedicated in 1246 by Bishop David of St Andrews, and was granted to Newbattle Abbey in 1309. The church is thought to have been dedicated to the saints, Brandon and Fergus.

Although still essentially in its medieval form, the church was probably extensively remodelled in the 16th century. The W doorway appears to be an insertion of the 18th century, suggesting there was further remodelling at that time.

The parishes of Eassie and Nevay were united in 1600, and a new church erected in 1835 midway between the two churches. Eassie Church is a Category B Listed Building.

The area to be scheduled encompasses the church and cross slab and an area around them within which related material may be expected to survive. It is rectangular, measuring 20m ENE-WSW by 10m transversely, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a particularly fine example of a Pictish cross slab. Its importance is reflected in its status as a Property in Care of the Scottish Ministers.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NO 34 NE 4.
Historic Environment Scotland Properties
Eassie Cross Slab
https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/eassie-sculptured-stone
Find out more

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.