Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Deer Abbey

A Scheduled Monument in Central Buchan, Aberdeenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5233 / 57°31'23"N

Longitude: -2.054 / 2°3'14"W

OS Eastings: 396863

OS Northings: 848128

OS Grid: NJ968481

Mapcode National: GBR P88V.5PD

Mapcode Global: WH9P0.F54D

Entry Name: Deer Abbey

Scheduled Date: 6 February 1996

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM90093

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: abbey

Location: Old Deer

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Central Buchan

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of Deer Abbey, founded in 1219.

Little remains of this house which was founded by William Comyn, Earl of Buchan as a daughter house of Kinloss in Moray. Buchan was himself buried in the abbey in 1233. The community was never large, in 1544 it was recorded as being 11 monks. This is presumably less than originally occupied it, but it is unlikely that there was ever more than 15, the lowest number acceptable to the Cistercian order.

The arrangement of the abbey follows the standard Cistercian layout, with the church forming the N side of a cloister. The cloister is ranged around by the domestic buildings; the monks' range in the E, a domestic range in the S and the lay brothers' range in the W. The buildings were of simple construction with round-headed windows and no apparent decoration. The church was cruciform, with a single aisle on the north side. The cloister was 22m across. To the E of the E range was an infirmary building and to the south of it the Abbot's house.

In 1587 the abbey became a secular lordship, as the Barony of Altrie; although this was simply regularising the arrangement which had existed since about 1560. By 1809 the ruins were repaired and the grounds laid out as a garden, but in 1854 Admiral Ferguson practically destroyed the abbey to construct a mauseoleum. This has since been removed.

The area to be scheduled lies within the modern boundary wall and includes all of the surviving abbey buildings and an area likely to contain archaeological remains of other buildings and deposits associated with what is visible. The area measures a maximum of 90m E-W by 90m N-S and is indicated in red on the attached map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Historic Environment Scotland Properties
Deer Abbey
https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/deer-abbey
Find out more
Related Designations


DEER ABBEYLB16104
Designation TypeListed Building (B)StatusRemoved

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.