Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Balvenie Castle

A Scheduled Monument in Speyside Glenlivet, Moray

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4533 / 57°27'11"N

Longitude: -3.1249 / 3°7'29"W

OS Eastings: 332598

OS Northings: 840894

OS Grid: NJ325408

Mapcode National: GBR L9N0.TGF

Mapcode Global: WH6K8.ZX4L

Entry Name: Balvenie Castle

Scheduled Date: 30 April 1920

Last Amended: 3 November 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM90028

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: castle

Location: Mortlach

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet

Traditional County: Banffshire

Description

The monument comprises the remains of a castle of 13th- to 16th-century date. It is in the care of the Secretary of State for Scotland and is being re-scheduled to clarify the extent of the protected area.

The monument lies on a promontory above the River Fiddich, at around 150m OD. It comprises the remains of Balvenie Castle. Sub-rectangular on plan, it measures approximately 55m NW-SE by about 40m transversely, surrounded on the NW and SW by a ditch measuring about 12m wide with vertical, stone revetted sides.

The earliest remains of the castle probably date to the latter half of the thirteenth century. They comprise the remains of a castle of enceinte, represented by a quadrangular curtain wall measuring about 2m thick and up to about 10m high, enclosed by a berm and a wide ditch. The castle had salient towers at the W and N corners, and probably on the E. The ditch survives on the NW and SW; on the NE it has been replaced by a cultivation terrace, while on the SE it appears to have been filled in. The footings of buildings against the inside faces of the NW, SW and SE walls of the courtyard probably date to the late 14th century or early 15th century. Under John Stewart, 4th earl of Atholl (1542-79), however, a three storey lodging (the Atholl Lodging) was built in the NE part of the SE range, with a rounded tower protruding from its E corner.

The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to be found. It is irregular with maximum dimensions of 120m from its northernmost point to its southernmost point and 170m from its easternmost point to its westernmost point, bounded for most of its perimeter by a fence, the above-ground elements of which are specifically excluded from the present rescheduling, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract. The scheduling excludes the modern building erected as a custodian's hut and also the top 30cm of the modern road and carpark surfaces to allow for maintenance.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Historic Environment Scotland Properties
Balvenie Castle
https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/balvenie-castle
Find out more

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.