Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilchoan, Old Parish Church and graveyard 250m north east of The Manse

A Scheduled Monument in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.7002 / 56°42'0"N

Longitude: -6.11 / 6°6'36"W

OS Eastings: 148498

OS Northings: 764045

OS Grid: NM484640

Mapcode National: GBR CC90.G3C

Mapcode Global: WGZCL.3VRF

Entry Name: Kilchoan, Old Parish Church and graveyard 250m NE of The Manse

Scheduled Date: 3 November 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM7824

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Ardnamurchan

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

The monument is the disused former parish church and graveyard located on sloping ground to the N of Kilchoan.

This old church is now a roofless shell. It is mainly of the eighteenth century but incorporates part of an earlier church dating to the twelfth or thirteenth century. It measures, internally, 14.4m E-W by 5.2m N-S. Traces of medieval masonry survive in the W and E gable walls and possibly elsewhere in the building. The dedication of the church was to St. Comgan. There are two fourteenth/fifteenth century grave slabs in the churchyard, which is still in use for burial.

The area to be scheduled is irregular in plan and measures a maximum of 50m E-W by 55m N-S, to include the church, graveyard and graveyard wall, as shown in red on the accompanying map extract. All lairs with current burial rights are excluded from the scheduling.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The church is of national importance because of its potential to contribute an understanding of medieval and post-medieval ecclesiastical architecture and religious practice.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NM 46 SE 3.

References:

Mackinlay, J. M. (1914) Ancient church dedications in Scotland: non-scriptural dedications, Edinburgh, 163.

NSA (1845) The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, 15v, Edinburgh, Vol. 7, Argyll, 117.

OPS (1854) Origines Parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, Vol. 2, 1, Edinburgh, 194.

RCAHMS (1980) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona), Edinburgh, 143-4, 293, 294.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.