Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bourblaige,settlement

A Scheduled Monument in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6871 / 56°41'13"N

Longitude: -6.0071 / 6°0'25"W

OS Eastings: 154706

OS Northings: 762212

OS Grid: NM547622

Mapcode National: GBR CCK1.F72

Mapcode Global: WGZCT.P5NY

Entry Name: Bourblaige,settlement

Scheduled Date: 10 April 1995

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6178

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: settlement, including deserted, depopulated and townships

Location: Ardnamurchan

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of an extensive deserted township located on the SE slope of Ben Hiant at a height of between 100m and 150m OD.

The site comprises a tract of gently sloping ground. There are about three dozen buildings which are scattered in small groups. Within these groups a number of buildings would appear to be houses, others barns and byres. Several of the clusters are associated with small enclosures, probably representing kail-yards.

Some isolated dwellings were probably the homes of cottars and a kiln-barn is also represented. The buildings vary in their state of preservation. Many are substantial and of dry stone construction with walls surviving up to 2m in height. All were probably cruck-framed and hip-roofed.

There are traces of some less substantial houses which surive only as foundations and may suggest an earlier phase in the history of the settlement. Surrounding the buildings are traces of rig and furrow, marking the infield of the community. The settlement is marked on an estate plan of 1806 and it is likely that many of the buildings were abandoned just prior to 1829.

The area to be scheduled measures a maximum of 430m E-W by 280m N-S, to include the deserted settlement and an area around in which traces of activities associated with the use and abandonment of the settlement may survive, as shown in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance for its potential contribution to an understanding of the way of life and the architecture of post-Medieval communities in this area of Scotland. Many of the buildings are well preserved and contain complex architectural information. There is probable evidence for several phases of occupation.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NM 56 SW 2.

Reference:

RCAHMS (1972) Argyll Inventory, Vol. 3, No. 364.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.