Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cladh Chiarain, burial ground and standing stone, Camas nan Geall

A Scheduled Monument in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6846 / 56°41'4"N

Longitude: -5.9851 / 5°59'6"W

OS Eastings: 156041

OS Northings: 761861

OS Grid: NM560618

Mapcode National: GBR CCL1.RBD

Mapcode Global: WGZCV.177V

Entry Name: Cladh Chiarain, burial ground and standing stone, Camas nan Geall

Scheduled Date: 28 April 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM7783

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard; Prehistoric ritual and funerary: standing stone

Location: Ardnamurchan

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

The monument comprises a burial ground of medieval or post-medieval date and a standing stone of prehistoric date.

The monument lies in an area of grassland at around 10m OD. It comprises a burial enclosure defined by a ruined stone wall and measuring about 8m NE-SW by some 6m transversely. The walls are about 0.5 m thick and stand to a height of about 1m. The entrance to the burial ground is in the NE wall.

Immediately to the SW of the burial ground there is a standing stone measuring approximately 2.3m in height and about 1m by 0.3m at the base. The stone was probably erected in the Neolithic or Bronze Age and relates to ritual activity of that date; it has been inscribed at a much later date with a cross and other motifs.

The burial ground may have been established in the eighteenth century for local Roman Catholics and there are a number of eighteenth-century grave stones inside. It is no longer in use.

The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to be found. It is 45m in diameter as marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to our understanding of medieval and post-medieval funerary practices and religion and prehistoric ritual practices.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NM 56 SE 2.

References:

Donaldson, M. E. M. (1923) Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands, Revision, Revision Paisley, 415.

RCAHMS (1980) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona), 126-8, No. 263, Fig. 158, Edinburgh.

Watson, W. J. (1926) The history of the Celtic place-named of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916, 514, Edinburgh.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.