Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Loch Coille-Bharr, mill and lade, Knapdale

A Scheduled Monument in Mid Argyll, Argyll and Bute

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0492 / 56°2'57"N

Longitude: -5.569 / 5°34'8"W

OS Eastings: 177835

OS Northings: 689783

OS Grid: NR778897

Mapcode National: GBR DDMQ.PVL

Mapcode Global: WH0J8.F69Y

Entry Name: Loch Coille-Bharr, mill and lade, Knapdale

Scheduled Date: 12 December 2001

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM10335

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: farming, food production

Location: North Knapdale

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Mid Argyll

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

The monument comprises a mill building and lade, sited towards the southern end of Loch Coille-Bharr in Knapdale.

The mill building survives to two storeys and is divided into two unequal sections. Access to the ground floor is by a doorway on the NW side, and access to the upper floor is via an external stair to a doorway in the SW gable end. An archway in the NE gable end is thought to indicate the position of the wheel, although no machinery now survives. Traces of wall stubs at the NE end of the building indicate that it was originally longer, but has been altered or reduced in length at some point.

The rock-cut lade runs down from Loch Coille-Bharr, which is at a higher level than the mill building. The lade was probably brought to the wheel itself via a wooden chute or launder, now removed. The building stands beside a forestry track which utilises an older road, probably originally serving the mill and the settlement at Kilmory Oib, to the north.

A documentary reference to a meal mill at 'Coilebar' dates to 1490, and indicates perhaps a long history for a mill at the site, although the present building is likely to be much later.

The area to be scheduled is an irregular L-shape, with the longer arm measuring c.10m in width across the lade, and with the shorter arm measuring c.32m NE-SW by a maximum of 17m transversely, to include the mill, the lade and an area around in which remains relating to their construction and use may survive, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to an understanding of post-medieval settlement and economy. Its importance is increased by its proximity to other monuments of potentially contemporary date, and by documentary evidence for a mill on this site from the 15th century.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NR 78 NE 17.

Reference:

Currie, A. (1830) A description of the antiquities and scenery of the parish of North Knapdale, Argyleshire, by Archibald Currie, formerly Master of the Grammer School of Rothsay, author of 'Principles of Gaelic grammer', &c., Glasgow, 17-18.

Ordnance Survey (1857) Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey: Book No. 57, 15.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.