Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St John's Chapel,Drem

A Scheduled Monument in North Berwick Coastal, East Lothian

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.006 / 56°0'21"N

Longitude: -2.7902 / 2°47'24"W

OS Eastings: 350824

OS Northings: 679505

OS Grid: NT508795

Mapcode National: GBR 2R.TP3G

Mapcode Global: WH7TR.39ML

Entry Name: St John's Chapel,Drem

Scheduled Date: 1 December 1992

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5465

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: chapel

Location: Athelstaneford

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal

Traditional County: East Lothian

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a fifteenth century chapel which is situated in the garden of Drem House. Only the W gable remains complete. It is made of whinstone rubble with freestone dressings, and it measures 6.8m long, 0.9m thick and is c.6m high. The gable is heavily infested with ivy which obscures the shape of the windows.

A portion of the E gable has been incorporated in the garden wall. The original dimensions of the building would have been approximately 13.2m E-W by 6.8m N-S. There is a doorway with a semi-circular head inserted in the garden wall to the N. The area to be scheduled is quadrangular and measures a maximum of 20m E-W by 16m N-S, it is bounded on the N and E by the garden wall and extends 2m S and W from the surviving gable of the chapel, to include the remains of the chapel and an area of surrounding ground which may contain underlying archaeological features, as shown on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of material importance because it provides evidence of ecclesiastical architecture, parochial organisation and material culture in medieval Scotland. It has the potential to provide evidence which may lead to confirmation of the association with the Knights Templar in Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NT 57 NW 3.

Reference:

Ordnance Gazette of Scotland III (1882) 370.

RCAHMS (1924) East Lothian, 7-8, No. 9.

Statistical Account X (1794) 175.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.