Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Moloc's Church,Alyth

A Scheduled Monument in Strathmore, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 56.6249 / 56°37'29"N

Longitude: -3.2323 / 3°13'56"W

OS Eastings: 324488

OS Northings: 748794

OS Grid: NO244487

Mapcode National: GBR VC.6P2M

Mapcode Global: WH6P9.BR24

Entry Name: St Moloc's Church,Alyth

Scheduled Date: 8 February 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5583

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Alyth

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Strathmore

Traditional County: Perthshire


The monument consists of the remains of Alyth old parish church.

The church dedicated to St Moloc (Moluag) is documented from 1352 although a church is likely to have been here from the time of the establishment of the parish network in Scotland during the 12th and 13th centuries. The surviving fragment of the old church stands in its surrounding burial ground about 120m ENE of the present parish church. All that remains of the monument is the N arcade of three

bays with round-headed arches and octagonal piers, having a portion of walling at either end (25.4m in overall length); the shorter section at the W end is re-modelled as a buttress and the part at the E belonged to one of the walls of the chancel.

The remnants suggest a building with a square-ended chancel, a nave and aisles, and a N aisle chapel or sacristy. The fragment of the E wall, although remodelled, contains a section of external plinth course, a blocked round-headed doorway and an upper level, arched window. On the S face of the wall is a square aumbry; on the N face are two aumbries, one with a triangular head. The aisle arcade is probably of late 15th or early 16th century date. A stone fixed in the burial ground wall

beside the N gate is dated 1629. The burial ground contains several 17th and 18th century grave stones.

The area to be scheduled is square, measuring a maximum of 30m E-W by 30m N-S and centred on the church, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as the remains, although fragmentary, of a parish church originating in the 12th or 13th century which was latterly of sophisticated design, a rare survival among Scottish parish churches of the Medieval period. On record from 1352, it has a complex building history, the phases of which may only be clarified through a combination of historical research and archaeological excavation. In addition it is likely to provide evidence which may increase our understanding of parish evolution, espiscopal patronage, social organisation and material culture in Scotland during the Medieval period.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland



RCAHMS records the monument as NO24NW 6.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.