Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirkforthar House and Dovecot

A Scheduled Monument in Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch, Fife

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2315 / 56°13'53"N

Longitude: -3.1355 / 3°8'7"W

OS Eastings: 329704

OS Northings: 704911

OS Grid: NO297049

Mapcode National: GBR 2B.C9KG

Mapcode Global: WH6R8.TM3P

Entry Name: Kirkforthar House and Dovecot

Scheduled Date: 17 February 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5615

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: manor house

Location: Markinch

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch

Traditional County: Fife

Description

The monument consists of the remains of Kirkforthar House, a 17th- century residence which was remodelled during the 18th century, and its associated dovecot.

The three-storey building is situated on cultivated land 3km N of Markinch. It is rectangular with a small N projection extending about 4m from the NE wall. The house was the seat of George Johnstone Lindsay in 1488, subsequently passing to the Balfours of Balbirnie. The walls are near complete: both of the gables survive (7-8m

high); together with part of the SW wall and most of the E portion including the NE wing. The house measures 21m E-W by 13m N-S. The masonry is random rubble with freestone dressings.

The dovecot is located 40m W of the house. It is circular, 5.5m in diameter and 4m high, rubble-built and has been harled. It has a string course and had a lean-to slate roof. Originally it was lined with 516 nest holes. The dovecot is now derelict.

The area to be scheduled is rectangular, measuring a maximum of 80m E-W by 65m N-S, to include the house, dovecot and an area surrounding and between in which further features are likely to survive, as seen in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as the remains of a 17th century house belonging to the Lindsays who held the lands since about 1488. It may have been built on the site of an earlier residence dating back to the early 15th century. The early history is lacking and the site of the house may provide evidence, through a combination of historical research and archaeological excavation, which may shed light on a possible relationship between the early history of the Lindsay family and the pre-Reformation chapel of Kirkforthar, about which little is known.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS record the monument as NO20SE 9 and 10.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.