Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caisteal Bheagram,castle,Drimsdale

A Scheduled Monument in Barraigh, Bhatarsaigh, Eirisgeigh agus Uibhist a Deas, Na h-Eileanan Siar

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.3092 / 57°18'32"N

Longitude: -7.3807 / 7°22'50"W

OS Eastings: 76135

OS Northings: 837103

OS Grid: NF761371

Mapcode National: GBR 895D.N4J

Mapcode Global: WGV3J.LKL2

Entry Name: Caisteal Bheagram,castle,Drimsdale

Scheduled Date: 19 March 1992

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5358

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: castle

Location: South Uist

County: Na h-Eileanan Siar

Electoral Ward: Barraigh, Bhatarsaigh, Eirisgeigh agus Uibhist a Deas

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a small castle, known to have been inhabited in the early 16th century, the foundations of ancillary buildings and the causeway which links these to the shore of Loch an Eilean.

The castle survives to a height of 3.8m. It is a simple tower of harled random rubble, oblong in plan, with walls 1.2 to 1.5m thick around an interior 4.0m by 3.4m. The entrance has been in the E wall. A scarcement, to carry an upper floor, survives 2.6m from the interior ground level. In the N wall are two small gun-ports. The island on which the castle stands has been encircled by a bank, probably once a drystone wall, enclosing an area 70m E-W by 50m N-S. Within this, in addition to the tower, are foundations of seven buildings and a small yard. Five of these buildings appear to have been of drystone construction and have very thick walls, while the two exceptions are much more slightly constructed and their foundations are grass-covered. A broad causeway, frequently submerged, links the island to the loch shore. There are historical references to this castle, which belongs to Clanranald, being

occupied in 1505 and 1508.

The area to be scheduled consists of the whole area of the small island together with the causeway linking it to the shore. The width of the area to be scheduled at the latter is 20m, centred on the mid- line of the causeway. The area to be scheduled is marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a fine example of a small Medieval defence, typifying the second tier of such fortifications in the Western Isles. Its importance is enhanced by the presence of historic records of the castle's use and by the strong probability that, because of subsequent lack of disturbance, considerable archaeological deposits may survive.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NF 73 NE 4.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.