Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Carriden House,church and burial ground 20m south west of

A Scheduled Monument in Bo'ness and Blackness, Falkirk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0101 / 56°0'36"N

Longitude: -3.5657 / 3°33'56"W

OS Eastings: 302476

OS Northings: 680791

OS Grid: NT024807

Mapcode National: GBR 1T.T8X9

Mapcode Global: WH5R3.669F

Entry Name: Carriden House,church and burial ground 20m SW of

Scheduled Date: 1 December 1992

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5458

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard

Location: Bo'Ness and Carriden

County: Falkirk

Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness

Traditional County: West Lothian

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a medieval church and its surrounding burial ground. Between 1124 and 1142 Carriden church was granted to Holyrood Abbey by Robert, Bishop of St Andrews. It was dedicated by Bishop de Bernham in 1243. The rectangular graveyard sits in the grounds of Carriden House. The excavated foundations of the rectangular church are situated in the burial ground.

There are several carved stones and table tombs in the cemetery which date from the eighteenth century. The church was abandoned in 1766 when a new church was built 700m to the NW. The area to be scheduled is rectangular measuring a maximum of 50m E-W by 40m N-S to include the church and burial ground as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as it is the site of an early medieval chapel documented from the twelfth century. Although it has been partly excavated, it is likely to preserve archaeological data which may provide further evidence for ecclesiastical architecture, patronage and material culture during the period of its construction and use. In addition it contains several fine examples of post-Reformation mortuary art which preserve evidence for the development of style and iconography in the local tradition and within the broader context of eighteenth century decorative sculpture.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NT 08 SW 9.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.