Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Ninian's Chapel,Nonakiln

A Scheduled Monument in Cromarty Firth, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.7111 / 57°42'39"N

Longitude: -4.2469 / 4°14'48"W

OS Eastings: 266227

OS Northings: 871252

OS Grid: NH662712

Mapcode National: GBR H8WB.PCW

Mapcode Global: WH3D5.QFVY

Entry Name: St Ninian's Chapel,Nonakiln

Scheduled Date: 8 February 1993

Last Amended: 8 July 1994

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5572

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: chapel

Location: Rosskeen

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Cromarty Firth

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Description

The chapel sits in an old burial ground on rising ground which overlooks the Cromarty Firth to the south. All that survives above ground of the building, which fell in 1714, is the intact W gable. It contains a square-headed door and an arched window above with the stump of a central mullion. The gable is 8.15m long, 0.9m thick and about 6m high. The masonry is random-coursed rubble. An intake above the door indicates the position of a loft or ceiling.

A modern low walled burial enclosure has been attached to the E side of the gable. Partly built over the site of the church, 10.5m to the E of the gable is a rectangular, high-walled burial enclosure of 18 century date. The area to be scheduled is rectangular, measuring a maximum of 23.7m E-W by 12.15m N-S, to include the buried remains of the chapel.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because, although fragmentary, it is a chapel of medieval date which is thought to have been dedicated to St Ninian, however the name Noinikil refers to the glebe of the church making the dedication to St Ninian questionable. By preserving the remains of the chapel for future study it may be possible to shed light on the origins and patronage of the chapel.

In addition the monument provides evidence and has the potential to provide further evidence through excavation and analysis which may contribute to our understanding of ecclesiastical architecture and history, toponomy, parish boundaries, burial practices and material culture during the period of its construction and use.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NH 67 SE 20.

References:

Mackinlay J M, Ancient Church Dedications in Scotland, 33-34.

PSAS 1930, 'Donation to and purchase for the Museum and library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot 65, 11.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.