Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kinneil,church and graveyard

A Scheduled Monument in Bo'ness and Blackness, Falkirk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0073 / 56°0'26"N

Longitude: -3.6359 / 3°38'9"W

OS Eastings: 298091

OS Northings: 680578

OS Grid: NS980805

Mapcode National: GBR 1Q.TK43

Mapcode Global: WH5R2.38WL

Entry Name: Kinneil,church and graveyard

Scheduled Date: 18 February 1991

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM4970

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard

Location: Bo'Ness and Carriden

County: Falkirk

Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness

Traditional County: West Lothian

Description

The church stands 90m W of Kinneil House. Except for the W gable, which survives to its full height and is topped by a corbelled bellcote with two rounded-arched openings, the walls stand no more than 1m high. The building consisted of a nave, 6.1 by 10m internally, with a rectangular chancel, 4.4 by 7m, to which a transept or aisle some 4 by 5.6m was later added on the south.

The floor level inside is some 1.5m lower than ground level at the W (less at the E) and the pavement of the nave is composed of tombslabs collected from the surrounding graveyard. The graveyard contains other stones, mostly of 17th-century date. The scheduled area is to include the graveyard and church, an area some 69m on the NNW, 37.5m on the ENE, 16m on the ESE, about 57m on the SSE and about 37.5m on the WSW, as shown in red on the accompanying plan.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The site of the medieval church at Kinneil is of national importance because of its associations with the history of the early church in Scotland, as recorded in the Life of St Serf and in Bede's Ecclesiastical History; excavation of the site has potential for shedding light on an important period in Scotland's ecclesiastical history. The monument is also of national importance for illustrating the development of a parish church building from the middle ages to 1669, when it was converted into a private chapel, and as the last visible vestige of the village of Kinneil, which disappeared by 1691.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NS 98 SE 6.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.