Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wanside, farmstead 1300m south of

A Scheduled Monument in Haddington and Lammermuir, East Lothian

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8392 / 55°50'21"N

Longitude: -2.8027 / 2°48'9"W

OS Eastings: 349824

OS Northings: 660953

OS Grid: NT498609

Mapcode National: GBR 80WX.0N

Mapcode Global: WH7VH.XHJG

Entry Name: Wanside, farmstead 1300m S of

Scheduled Date: 2 May 1990

Last Amended: 23 October 1996

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM4726

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: farmstead

Location: Humbie

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir

Traditional County: East Lothian

Description

The monument comprises a farmstead and associated field system of the pre-Improvement period.

The steading comprises the remains of two partitioned, long, stone- built structures. The western building abuts the remains of a bank which runs to the SW to form part of a field boundary system, and to the NE to join a yard. The low platform on which the E building lies extends a little to the N, into the S part of this enclosure.

The SW corner of this building is partly buried by a later platform enclosure to the S. This may be identified as the stance of a later house. The steading lies near the S end of an extensive area of ridge and furrow cultivation.

The monument represents the remains of a farm shown as a deserted ruin in Thompson's Atlas of 1822 (itself based on Forrest's survey of 1799). The farm dates at latest from the 17th century but probably has earlier origins.

The area proposed for re-scheduling encompasses the steading and a representative part of the associated field system. It is triangular in shape with maximum dimensions of 285m E-W by 145m as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its high degree of preservation and association with an extensive contemporary field system. It represents a type of monument rare in east-central Scotland and has the potential to add greatly to our understanding of pre-improvement rural settlement and farming practices.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NT 46 SE 19.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.