Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holywood, cursus 1250m SSE of

A Scheduled Monument in Lochar, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1001 / 55°6'0"N

Longitude: -3.6488 / 3°38'55"W

OS Eastings: 294892

OS Northings: 579650

OS Grid: NX948796

Mapcode National: GBR 29YG.VK

Mapcode Global: WH5WH.X2NJ

Entry Name: Holywood, cursus 1250m SSE of

Scheduled Date: 1 February 1979

Last Amended: 8 September 2003

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM4218

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric ritual and funerary: cursus/bank barrow

Location: Holywood

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Lochar

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Description

Mid 19th century, extended 1951. Large single and 2-storey with part basement, 3-bay gabled house with Tudor details, 3-stage corniced entrance tower, stone porch and sympathetic extension. Whitewashed harl (see Notes) with contrasting yellow sandstone dressings. Deep roll-moulded base course. Shouldered doorway; hoodmoulds; corbels; chamfered arrises and stone mullions.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bay to left of centre with tower (see below); bipartite window to outer left at ground with single window above breaking eaves into dormerhead. Broad gabled bay to right with full-width, slate-roofed, stone porch on ashlar piers forming 2 shouldered openings with similar single opening on return to right; corbelled chimney breast at 1st floor extending into gablehead with shouldered stack. 3-bay single storey wing to outer left with canted window in slightly advanced gabled bay to right and 2 further windows to left.

ENTRANCE TOWER: advanced square-plan entrance tower with single window at 1st stage W giving way to hoodmoulded window with decorative cast-iron balconette on moulded consoles; S elevation with shoulder-arched panelled timber door at 1st stage and window above; E elevation blank. 3rd stage with windows to W, S and N, each breaking eaves into pedimented dormerhead at base of pyramidal roof with decorative ironwork weathervane.

S ELEVATION: 3 original bays to left of centre comprising broad projecting canted bay to left with decorative cast-iron balconette to 1st floor window with blind shield to trefoil moulding over centre light and decorative timber braces to outer angles of pendant-finialled gablehead; single polygonal stack piercing right roof pitch. Bays to right altered at ground with gabled single storey extension, 2 original windows at 1st floor each breaking eaves into dormerheads. 3 later symmetrical bays beyond to right, with hoodmoulded windows at ground and dormerheaded windows at 1st floor.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to gabled elevation (broad gables flanking small centre gable) with lower gabled service wing projecting at right and set-back extension to left.

E ELEVATION: single gabled bay with centre French window at each floor, windows in flanking bays and fire escape.

4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, banded to tower and single storey wing. Shouldered harl and ashlar stacks with full-complement of polygonal cans; deeply overhanging eaves with decorative bargeboarding; decorative cast-iron and timber finials; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings.

INTERIOR: some decorative plasterwork cornices with elaborate guilloche bands framing 4 types of diminutive mask (see Notes); timber-balustered staircase (enclosed in timber panelling) with finialled newel posts. Arts and Crafts style timber fire-surround and overmantel with cast-iron canopy and grate, and tiled slips.

WALLED GARDEN: small rectangular-plan walled garden to NW, comprising ashlar-coped brick wall to SE and coped rubble wall to NW.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: ashlar-coped squared rubble boundary walls with inset decorative ironwork railings and 2 pairs of pyramidally-coped square-section ashlar gatepiers to Balmoral Road; coped rubble boundary walls elsewhere.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to an understanding of prehistoric settlement and economy. Its importance is increased by its proximity to other monuments of potentially contemporary date including another cursus to the north and a stone circle. These three sites are generally regarded as a single monument complex.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

1st edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1865). Information courtesy of Hope Park Trust-Smith Bequest (2002).

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.