Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Littledean Tower,tower-house

A Scheduled Monument in Jedburgh and District, Scottish Borders

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.574 / 55°34'26"N

Longitude: -2.5841 / 2°35'2"W

OS Eastings: 363270

OS Northings: 631308

OS Grid: NT632313

Mapcode National: GBR B3DZ.CP

Mapcode Global: WH8Y3.85R6

Entry Name: Littledean Tower,tower-house

Scheduled Date: 6 June 1994

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5999

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: tower

Location: Maxton

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Jedburgh and District

Traditional County: Roxburghshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a 16th century tower-house. Marcus Ker is recorded as being of Litill Dene in 1525 and resigned the tower and its fortalice to his son, Andrew in 1550.

The tower, which is now ruinous, was built in two phases, both probably 16th century. The earlier part of the work is a rectangular block which stood four storeys high. To the W end has been added, also in the 16th century, a massive D-shaped tower, which had four storeys and a garret. Although this was added primarily for defence, much additional accommodation was also obtained.

At ground level it has a chamfered base-course; immediately above it are a series of six gunloops, above which is a bold roll-shaped string-course. Midway between the string-course and the wallhead are three windows serving the second floor. The parapet walk has been supported on separate double-membered corbels. The entrance to the tower was provided with two doors.

Evidence of a barmkin attached to the tower has been

noted, although this can no longer be seen. The area to be scheduled is irregular, 100m N-S by 80m E-W, to

include the tower and an area around in which evidence relating to its construction and use, as well as remains of ancillary structures, may be preserved, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it has the potential to provide archaeological and architectural information on the domestic, cultural and defensive arrangement of a laird's house of the 16th century. It could add to our understanding of the defensive nature of dwellings in the Scottish borders during the 16th century.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.