Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boulterhall, barrow 450m north east of

A Scheduled Monument in Tay Bridgehead, Fife

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4116 / 56°24'41"N

Longitude: -2.9388 / 2°56'19"W

OS Eastings: 342168

OS Northings: 724769

OS Grid: NO421247

Mapcode National: GBR 2K.05PY

Mapcode Global: WH7RQ.T3RM

Entry Name: Boulterhall, barrow 450m NE of

Scheduled Date: 30 September 1997

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6800

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric ritual and funerary: barrow

Location: Forgan

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Tay Bridgehead

Traditional County: Fife

Description

Designed by William Smith II in 1872 Garthdee House is a 2-storey, basement and attic, 6-bay villa with Jacobean detailing, converted to a school of architecture in 1956-7. In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: the 1956-7 additions to the east by Thomas Scott Sutherland and further additions to the south and east by Thomson Taylor Craig & Donald in 1969 and 1971.

Garthdee House has tooled and coursed grey granite ashlar with polished margins. It has a base course and kneelered gables with skewputts, arrowslit openings and stone finials to apexes. Some gables have 2-storey canted windows with a parapet with ball finals.

The northwest (entrance) elevation is asymmetrical with an off-centre and advanced, curvilinear-gabled entrance bay. A 2-leaf panelled timber door with a multi-pane leaded fanlight is set in a chamfered Tudor-arched doorway and a panel above with the inscription "Scott Sutherland School of Architecture". At the first floor is a tripartite window with a hoodmould. To the gablehead is a blind shield and a fleur-de-lys stone finial to the apex. There is a slightly advanced gable to the outer left with buttress detail to the angles, an arrowslit opening to gablehead and spherical finial to apex. There is a single storey billiard room wing adjoining to far left.

The southwest elevation is symmetrical with a recessed centre bay, which has a tripartite rectangular bay window with a balustraded parapet. There is a pair of windows at first floor set below a curvilinear gable with blind shield inset, and a fleur-de-lys finial to the apex. The centre bay is flanked by gabled bays with 3-light canted windows through the ground and first floors, and a parapet with decorative spherical finials at angles.

There are a variety of glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. The roof has grey slates with lead ridges, and coped stone skews with decoratively moulded skewputts. There are corniced gablehead and wallhead stacks with octagonal cans. There are cast iron rainwater goods with decorative brackets and hoppers to the principal elevations.

The interior, seen in 2014, is arranged around a fine double-height, square-plan hall. This hall has an arcaded gallery at first floor with pilastered round-ached openings and barley-sugar turned timber balustrades. The ceiling is coombed and panelled with a fine leaded skylight at the centre. Round-arched doorways with decoratively panelled timber tympana flank a pilastered and architraved flat-arched opening to the staircase. The staircase is flanked by bronze statues by A. Carrier on square plinths. The staircase has barley-sugar turned timber balusters, scrolled detail below treads and elegantly carved newel posts. There is a decorative leaded stair window with inset stained glass panels by Daniel Cottier. Panelled timber doors set in deep architraves with panelled rybats led to the principal rooms. The ground floor principal rooms (to the south and west of the plan) have parquet floors, fine cornices and decorative plasterwork to the ceilings. Between two rooms to the west of the plan is a flat arched opening supported on Corinthian fluted columns and pilasters.

To the west of the house are coped granite ashlar retaining walls with squat square-plan piers and stone steps.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to our understanding of prehistoric ritual and funerary practices. Its importance is enhanced by its proximity to sites of potentially contemporary date.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 149554.

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1899, published 1901) Kincardineshire 007.02 (includes: Aberdeen; Banchory-Devenick; Nigg; Peterculter). 2nd Edition. 25 inches to 1 mile. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Aberdeen Evening Express (03 June 1955) p.11.

Brogden, W.A. (1998) Aberdeen: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. 2nd Edition. RIAS: Edinburgh p.169.

Ellington, H. (2002). The Robert Gordon University: A History. Aberdeen: Robert Gordon University Press.

Fiddes, J (2005) Pitfodels and an Early History of Garthdee in Aberdeen Town and County History Society Magazine, Vol I, pp. 25-33.

Fiddes, J. (2007). The Scott Sutherland School of Architecture: A Commemorative History. Aberdeen: The Robert Gordon University. p.24-25, 37.

Historic Scotland (2011) Case Study 3: Cottier's in Context - Daniel Cottier, William Leiper and Dowanhill Church, Glasgow. Edinburgh: Historic Scotland. p.44

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects. Garthdee House at http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=213217 (accessed 17/04/2015).

Mackintosh, J. (1895) History of the valley of the Dee, from the earliest times to the present day at http://www.archive.org/stream/historyvalleyde00mackgoog/historyvalleyde00mackgoog_djvu.txt (accessed 17/04/2015).

SCRAN. Garthdee House at http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-662-589-C&scache=3y784ai5qu&searchdb=scran (accessed 17/04/2015).

Canmore

https://canmore.org.uk/site/149554/

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.