Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Skelbo Castle

A Scheduled Monument in East Sutherland and Edderton, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.9296 / 57°55'46"N

Longitude: -4.0409 / 4°2'27"W

OS Eastings: 279233

OS Northings: 895187

OS Grid: NH792951

Mapcode National: GBR J7DR.V0K

Mapcode Global: WH4D7.WYYG

Entry Name: Skelbo Castle

Scheduled Date: 9 October 1995

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6225

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: castle

Location: Dornoch

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: East Sutherland and Edderton

Traditional County: Sutherland

Description

The monument consists of an early castle adapted for occupation and defence over a number of different periods until its abandonment as a residence during the 20th century.

Skelbo Castle was a seat of the de Moravia or Moray family, who acquired lands in the area at some date before 1211. The castle closely echoes both the form and the development of Duffus Castle near Elgin, the seat of the main branch of the family, who indeed owned Skelbo 1529-1787.

The site is complex, with evidence for a number of different building phases, and covers an extensive area. Initially, it seems to have been an earthwork structure, with the natural motte at the north end of the site probably supporting a wooden tower. Over time, the defences were rebuilt in stone, and the fragmentary hall/keep now standing on the motte probably dates to the 14th century. It appears to have had a first-floor hall with a wooden floor supported by a central row of posts. Stone curtain walls, probably on the lines of earlier wooden defences, form a roughly triangular courtyard with the motte at its northern angle. There are traces of buildings at several points around the perimeter and a building at the SE angle may have been a gatehouse. Traces of an outer ditch also remain.

Against the W wall of the enclosure stands a range dating from c.1600, measuring 20.6m x 6.8m. It contains a series of vaulted basements beneath a separately-entered hall and chamber, with a garret above. This form is suggested as a typological link between the medieval hall house and the bastle house common in early 17th-century Scotland. The SE corner of this range has collapsed, but the N end of the slated roof remains. The house was occupied by the Factor during the 18th century, and traces of several phases of alteration and refenestration are apparent. A garden lay to the W of this range, overlying part of the castle ditch.

The area to be scheduled is roughly triangular in shape, measuring a maximum of 110m N-S by a maximum of 135m E-W, as defined in red on the enclosed map. It extends 20m beyond the existing fence and wall lines to the N and W, and is defined by the N edge of the track to the SE, to cover the castle and outer ditch together with part of the 18th-century garden. The scheduling does not include the gate leading from the track to the field W of the castle.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.