Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Penshiel Grange

A Scheduled Monument in Haddington and Lammermuir, East Lothian

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8608 / 55°51'38"N

Longitude: -2.5741 / 2°34'26"W

OS Eastings: 364164

OS Northings: 663219

OS Grid: NT641632

Mapcode National: GBR B0GN.JX

Mapcode Global: WH8WK.FYGD

Entry Name: Penshiel Grange

Scheduled Date: 6 June 1994

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6028

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: monastic settlement

Location: Whittingehame

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir

Traditional County: East Lothian

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a monastic grange known as Penshiel. The present remains probably date from the 15th-century. The foundation is likely to pre-date the surviving ruin however: Penshiel is mentioned in a charter granted by the Earl of Dunbar to the monks of the Isle of Mey in AD.1200. It was later attached to Melrose Abbey.

The upstanding remains consist of the main building which measures 25.8m E-W by 7.8m N-S over walls 1.8m thick. The building (2.6m high) has had a vaulted ground floor and probably one upper floor. The walls are built of large rough boulders of greywacke and granite. The entrance is in the N wall, the door was fastened by three horizontal bars as indicated by the bar holes. Most of the outer facing stones have gone on the N side.

There have been two small windows in each gable but these are now indistinct and reduced to below sill level. There are a series of post holes in the exterior face of the S wall, about 2m from the ground which indicate that some sort of structure; ie a hoarding or stage was attached to the wall. To the S of the building is a rectangular enclosure or courtyard measuring 34m E-W by 26m N-S and bounded by the foundations of a wall about 0.9m thick.

To the N of the structure are the foundations of two buildings and walling, probably the remains of another courtyard measuring 26m E-W by 52.5m N-S. The area to be scheduled measures a maximum of 90m E-W by 120m N-S as marked in red on the accompanying map. Existing modern fences are excluded from scheduling.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it is a good example of a centre of monastic retreat originating in the 13th century, although the upstanding remains are thought to be of 15th century date. As such it has the potential to yield information, through a combination of historical research and archaeological excavation, which is likely to increase our understanding of ecclesiastical architecture, the organisation and function of monastic communities, landuse, economy and material culture in Medieval Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NT 66 SW 11.

References:

MacGibbon, D. and Ross, T. (1892) The Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland, vol. IV, 211.

RCAHMS (1924) Inventory for East Lothian, 134-5, No. 215.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.