This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7198 / 52°43'11"N
Longitude: -2.6862 / 2°41'10"W
OS Eastings: 353743.406013
OS Northings: 313794.043111
OS Grid: SJ537137
Mapcode National: GBR BM.1MCR
Mapcode Global: WH8BN.QW1S
Entry Name: Slight univallate hillfort, an 18th century folly and a World War II spigot mortar emplacement, on the summit of Haughmond Hill
Scheduled Date: 31 March 1949
Last Amended: 24 June 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1021282
English Heritage Legacy ID: 34950
Civil Parish: Uffington
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Uffington Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
The monument includes the earthwork and buried remains of a slight univallate
hillfort, within which are the remains of an 18th century folly known as
Haughmond Castle and a World War II spigot mortar emplacement.
The slight univallate hillfort is situated on the summit of Haughmond Hill, at
the western end of this escarpment, from where there are extensive views over
the Severn valley and the north Shropshire plain. The hillfort lies 100m north
of a medieval ringwork known as Queen Eleanor's Bower and 2.4km SSW of a
slight univallate hillfort on Ebury Hill. Both these monuments are the subject
of separate schedulings.
The hillfort on Haughmond Hill is an irregular polygon in plan. Its overall
dimensions are approximately 155m north-south by 230m east-west. The rampart
which defines the interior of the fort survives as a discontinuous earthwork
incorporating the steep natural scarps and rock outcrops of the hilltop. The
rampart around the south eastern part of the circuit is about 17m wide and
stands to a height of 1.8m. To the north, the rampart becomes less pronounced
and survives as a scarp about 0.8m high. On the southern side of the circuit,
where the defences run up to the head of a narrow steep-sided gully, the
ends of the rampart turn inward to form an entrance passage about 5m wide.
The rampart to the west of the gully is visible as a steep scarp, with the
defensive line around the south western part of the circuit being maintained
by the steep and rocky side of the hill. A natural scarp, 4.5m high, appears
to have been artifically accentuated to form the rampart along the western
part of the northern side. To the east of this scarp, where the ground is
more level, the rampart stands to a height of 1.6m and is about 11m wide.
This rampart has a rounded eastern end and appears to be the side of a
possible entranceway. To the east of this section of rampart, where the
ground is mostly level, there is no visible indication of any defences. It
is considered that this part of the circuit was never completed. An external
ditch along the south eastern and north western parts of the circuit provided
stone and soil for the construction of the adjacent sections of rampart.
Although this ditch is no longer visible at ground level, having been
infilled over the years, it survives as a buried feature about 10m wide. The
ground within the interior of the hillfort is uneven and bedrock is exposed
in many places. Some of the depressions here are probably the remains of
quarries used for the construction of the defences.
Close to the western side of the hillfort are the remains of Haughmond Castle,
a late 18th century folly originally used as a signal tower to alert huntsmen
of a forthcoming foxhunt in the area. Information from a large scale Ordnance
Survey map published in 1881 and early 20th century photographs indicate that
it consisted of three semicircular two storey crenellated towers set in a
triangle separated by an arched gateway. Much of this folly collapsed in 1931.
Part of its base, comprising irregularly coursed rubble-built walls held in
place by iron bands, stands about 1m high. Dressed sandstone blocks that
originally formed part of this structure lie close to the standing remains.
To the north east of the folly, on lower ground within the northern part of
the hillfort interior, is a World War II spigot mortar emplacement. It
consists of a concrete drum, or `thimble', 1m in diameter and 1m high, with
a central stainless steel pin in the top, and is situated in a roughly square
pit, 2.8m across and averaging 0.5m deep. On top of the stainless steel pin a
29mm spigot mortar, also known as a Black Bombard, would have been mounted. It
was an anti-tank and anti-personnel weapon and had a range of 365m (400
yards). Emplacements are normally located by bridges, road junctions and other
crossing points. The siting of a spigot mortar on Haughmond Hill, some
distance from roads and other features of strategic importance, strongly
suggests that this example was used by the Home Guard for training purposes.
Metal supports for an information plaque are excluded from the scheduling,
although the ground beneath them is included.
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
Source: Historic England
Slight univallate hillforts are defined as enclosures of various shapes,
generally between 1ha and 10ha in size, situated on or close to hilltops and
defined by a single line of earthworks, the scale of which is relatively
small. They date to between the Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age (eighth -
fifth centuries BC), the majority being used for 150 to 200 years prior to
their abandonment or reconstruction. Slight univallate hillforts have
generally been interpreted as stock enclosures, redistribution centres, places
of refuge and permanent settlements. The earthworks generally include a
rampart, narrow level berm, external ditch and counterscarp bank, while access
to the interior is usually provided by two entrances comprising either simple
gaps in the earthwork or an inturned rampart. Postholes revealed by excavation
indicate the occasional presence of portal gateways while more elaborate
features like overlapping ramparts and outworks are limited to only a few
examples. Internal features included timber or stone round houses; large
storage pits and hearths; scattered postholes, stakeholes and gullies; and
square or rectangular buildings supported by four to six posts, often
represented by postholes, and interpreted as raised granaries. Slight
univallate hillforts are rare with around 150 examples recorded nationally.
Although on a national scale the number is low, in Devon they comprise one of
the major classes of hillfort. In other areas where the distribution is
relatively dense, for example, Wessex, Sussex, the Cotswolds and the
Chilterns, hillforts belonging to a number of different classes occur within
the same region. Examples are also recorded in eastern England, the Welsh
Marches, central and southern England. In view of the rarity of slight
univallate hillforts and their importance in understanding the transition
between Bronze Age and Iron Age communities, all examples which survive
comparatively well and have potential for the recovery of further
archaeological remains are believed to be of national importance.
The slight univallate hillfort on Haughmond Hill is a good example of this
class of monument. In Shropshire, hillforts of this type are comparatively
rare in relation to other types of hillforts with more sizeable defences. It
is even more unusual for the defensive circuit of a hillfort to be
unfinished. The defences will retain evidence about the nature of their
construction, and organic remains surviving in the buried ground surface
beneath the rampart and within the ditch will provide information about the
local environment and the use of the surrounding land before the hillfort was
built and during its occupation. All this evidence, together with the buried
structural feature within the interior and the associated artefactual and
organic remains, will provide significant information about the lifestyles
and occupations of the inhabitants. The importance of this hillfort is
further enhanced by its location to the nearby, and broadly contemporary,
hillfort on Ebury Hill. The remains of the late 18th century folly provide
evidence of a once noteable landmark and a tangible link to the country
pursuits of the landed gentry in this area. The spigot mortar emplacement
survives well. Its position, related to its likely use for training purposes
by the Home Guard, is most unusual, and adds to our knowledge of military
installations established in the area during World War II.
Source: Historic England
Books and journals
Lowry, B (ed), Twentieth Century defences in Britain. An introductory guide, (1995), 87-88
'Shrewsbury Chronicle for 5 June 1931' in Shrewsbury Chronicle for 5 June 1931, (1931), 6
County Series map 1:2500, (1881)
Lowry, B, (2002)
Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Record Card SJ 51 SW 7, (1978)
Photo of collapsed folly, Shrewsbury Chronicle for 5 June 1931, (1931)
photos from local studies library, Uffington parish file book,
Source: Historic England
Other nearby scheduled monuments