Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Hall moated site 100m north west of Almshouse Bungalow

A Scheduled Monument in Longham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7046 / 52°42'16"N

Longitude: 0.8556 / 0°51'20"E

OS Eastings: 593026.942331

OS Northings: 315702.082359

OS Grid: TF930157

Mapcode National: GBR R8X.F4M

Mapcode Global: WHLRX.38PY

Entry Name: Old Hall moated site 100m north west of Almshouse Bungalow

Scheduled Date: 16 October 2002

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1020791

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35068

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Longham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Longham St Andrew and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site, known as Old Hall and
identified as the former site of Longham Manor House, located at the
northern edge of a former Green known as South Hall Green or Longham
Green. In 1086 Longham was part of the manor of Mileham and by the 13th
century land holdings in Longham included those of the L'Estrange, le
Denys and de Skerning families. In the 16th century interests in Longham
were united under Sir Edward Coke and descended in the Coke family, later
earls of Leicester.
The moated island is sub-rectangular in plan, with dimensions of
approximately 50m east-west by 43m, and is slightly raised above the
surrounding ground level. It is surrounded on the south and east sides and
around the north east and south west corners by a moat which is partly
water-filled, open to a depth of 1m and measures up to 10m in width. The
moat has been enlarged externally at the south east corner, where it
expands to about 14m in width. The north west corner has been infilled but
will survive as a buried feature.
The moated site is depicted on a late 16th century map, which shows the
moat in its entirety, with what appears to be a bridge across the eastern
arm, and the hall, aligned east-west, in the northern half of the central
platform. Adjoining the east side of the moat there was an outer
enclosure containing a number of ancillary buildings, such as barns and
stables, a small circular structure which was probably a dovecote in the
south east corner, and a pond. A new hall was built by Thomas William
Coke near the church, approximately 600m to the north, in the early part
of the 19th century. The remains of a brick and breeze block building
stand near the centre of the island, which is said to have remained in
occupation into the 20th century.
All standing building remains and fence posts are excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Old Hall moated site 100m north west of Almshouse Bungalow survives well as
a series of earthwork and buried deposits and the evidence of the early
post-medieval map gives the monument additional interest. The buried remains
will include archaeological information concerning the construction of the
moat, the layout and construction of the building which stood on the island
and activities relating to its occupation. Waterlogged deposits in the moat
and ponds will preserve organic remains (such as timber, leather and
seeds) which will give an insight into the domestic and economic activity
on the site and the local environment in the past. Evidence for earlier
land use is also likely to be preserved in soils buried beneath the
artificially raised platform.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Blomefield, F, Essay Towards a Topographical History of Norfolk Volume 10, (1809)
Wade-Martins, P, 'East Anglian Archaeology' in Village sites in Launditch hundred, Norfolk, , Vol. 10, (1980)
Other
Title: Longham Tithe Map and Apportionment, DN/TA 142
Source Date: 1838
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.