Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Round 450m south of Tregeagle

A Scheduled Monument in St. Clement, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2804 / 50°16'49"N

Longitude: -4.9953 / 4°59'43"W

OS Eastings: 186693.569942

OS Northings: 46566.543522

OS Grid: SW866465

Mapcode National: GBR ZJ.JK1D

Mapcode Global: FRA 08F9.1QW

Entry Name: Round 450m south of Tregeagle

Scheduled Date: 24 July 2002

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1020714

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32960

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Clement

Built-Up Area: Tresillian

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Tresillian and Lamorran with Merther

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Details

The monument includes a round of the later prehistoric to Roman periods,
situated on a moderately steep south east slope to the north of
Tresillian, above the upper tidal reaches of the Tresillian River.
The round is sub-oval in plan, measuring up to approximately 70m
north-south by 60m east-west overall. It has an enclosing bank, visible on
old aerial photographs, partly incorporated in a relatively recent
boundary bank around the north and west sides. The enclosing bank has an
external ditch, visible on the ground on the north, east, and south east
sides, where it is 5m-6m wide, and open to a depth of approximately 0.7m,
increasing to 1.5m on the downhill (south east) side. Most of the interior
of the round falls away to the south east with the natural slope. Inside
the bank on the north west side is a more gently sloping area some 20m
across. The original entrance is considered to be on the south side. An
old map records the name Round Meadow for the field containing much of the
round; the name clearly refers to its earthworks. Old maps also show a
later settlement to the south of the round with two buildings situated on
the line of the enclosing earthworks; part of the external ditch on the
east side was also reused, forming a trackway.
The modern fencing, gate and gate fittings, and agricultural equipment are
excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Rounds are small embanked enclosures, one of a range of settlement types
dating to between the later Iron Age and the early post-Roman period. Usually
circular or oval, they have a single earth and rubble bank and an outer ditch,
with one entrance breaking the circuit.
Excavations have produced drystone supporting walls within the bank, paved or
cobbled entrance ways, post built gate structures, and remains of timber, turf
or stone built houses of oval or rectangular plan, often set around the inner
edge of the enclosing bank. Other evidence includes hearths, drains, gullies,
pits and rubbish middens. Evidence for industrial activities has been
recovered from some sites, including small scale metal working and, among the
domestic debris, items traded from distant sources. Some rounds are associated
with secondary enclosures, either abutting the round as an annexe or forming
an additional enclosure.
Rounds are viewed primarily as agricultural settlements, the equivalents of
farming hamlets. They were replaced by unenclosed settlement types by the 7th
century AD. Over 750 rounds are recorded in the British Isles, occurring in
areas bordering the Irish Seas, but confined in England to south west Devon
and especially Cornwall, where many more examples may await discovery. Most
recorded examples are sited on hillslopes and spurs.
Rounds are important as one of the major sources of information on settlement
and social organisation of the Iron Age and Roman periods in south west
England. Consequently, sites with significant surviving remains will normally
be considered to be of national importance.

Despite modification of its enclosing bank and part of the external ditch,
the round 450m south of Tregeagle survives well. Its situation illustrates
the relationship between monuments of this type and the topography of
their surroundings well.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Padel, O J, Cornish placename elements, (1985), 180
Other
Dyer, C, to Parkes, C, (2001)
PRN 22534, Sheppard, P, CAU SMR, (1977)
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map
Source Date: 1880
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Title: Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Map
Source Date: 1908
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Title: Probus Tithe Apportionment Map
Source Date: 1840
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.