Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Golden Stone boundary marker, 250m north west of Edge House Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Over Alderley, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2953 / 53°17'43"N

Longitude: -2.2082 / 2°12'29"W

OS Eastings: 386221.849071

OS Northings: 377616.887

OS Grid: SJ862776

Mapcode National: GBR FZ0B.QF

Mapcode Global: WHBBG.1FSL

Entry Name: The Golden Stone boundary marker, 250m north west of Edge House Farm

Scheduled Date: 20 July 2001

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1020192

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33860

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Over Alderley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Birtles St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Details

The monument includes a large rectangular boulder situated in an earthen field
bank on the north side of the road to Edge House Farm. The stone was used as a
boundary marker for the late medieval estates of the Stanley and De Trafford
families which occupied Alderley Edge and this is one of the `merestones'
which is noted in the Perambulation of May 1598. It is also indicated on the
1775 Enclosure Map. In addition it lies on the boundary between Over Alderley
and Nether Alderley parishes.
The stone is formed of Engine Vein conglomerate and was quarried very close to
its present location. It has been deliberately split apart at some time in the
past. It measures 2.60m by 1.90m and stands 0.90m high. There is evidence that
an attempt has been made to destroy it by blasting in the past, as there is a
shothole in the northern side and pick marks on the cracked surfaces.
The post and wire fencing adjacent to the monument is not included in the
scheduling but the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The Golden Stone boundary marker, 250m north west of Edge House Farm is one of
an important late medieval series of boundary markers on the lands known as
Alderley Edge. Although many of these have been lost, this example has been
preserved in its original location. It also has much folklore attached to it
locally and is therefore of great importance to the community. It is on land
open to the public and so forms an element in the resources for education and
recreation created by The National Trust.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
Manchester Museum and National Trust Survey, (1998)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.