Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bowl barrow in Calcots Wood, 550m east of Tollard Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Tollard Royal, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9559 / 50°57'21"N

Longitude: -2.064 / 2°3'50"W

OS Eastings: 395603.69343

OS Northings: 117383.94331

OS Grid: ST956173

Mapcode National: GBR 2ZL.T6D

Mapcode Global: FRA 66KL.3QX

Entry Name: Bowl barrow in Calcots Wood, 550m east of Tollard Farm

Scheduled Date: 10 April 1957

Last Amended: 18 September 2001

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1020064

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35205

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Tollard Royal

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Sixpenny Handley with Gussage St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow situated on a low ridge in Calcots Wood,
within the area of Cranborne Chase.
The barrow has a mound composed of earth, flint and chalk with maximum
dimensions of 12m in diameter and about 1.2m in height. This is surrounded by
a ditch from which material was quarried during the construction of the
monument. The ditch is visible as an earthwork which is up to 2m wide and 1m
deep.
The barrow was excavated by General Pitt-Rivers in 1884, when flint tools,
charcoal and Romano-British pottery were recovered. The excavation trench is
still visible across the barrow mound.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
protection.

Cranborne Chase is an area of chalkland well known for its high number,
density and diversity of archaeological remains. These include a rare
combination of Neolithic and Early Bronze Age sites, comprising one of the
largest concentrations of burial monuments in England, the largest known
cursus (a linear ritual monument) and a significant number and range of henge
monuments (Late Neolithic ceremonial centres). Other important remains include
a variety of enclosures, settlements, field systems and linear boundaries
which date throughout prehistory and into the Romano-British and medieval
periods. The survival of archaeological remains is due largely to the later
history of the Chase. From at least Norman times, Cranborne Chase formed a
Royal Hunting Ground and much of the archaeological survival within the area
resulted from associated laws which applied until 1830. The unique
archaeological character of the Chase has attracted much interest and research
over the years. During the later 19th century, important contributions were
made by General Pitt-Rivers, Sir Richard Colt Hoare and Edward Cunnington,
often regarded as the fathers of British archaeology, whose research resulted
in significant advances in excavation techniques, recording methods and
archaeological interpretation. Archaeological investigations have continued
throughout the 20th century and to the present day.
The bowl barrow in Calcots Wood, 550m east of Tollard Farm survives
comparatively well and is known from partial excavation by General Pitt-Rivers
to contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to the monument
and the landscape in which it was constructed.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Historical Monuments in the County of Dorset: Volume I, (1970), 72

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.