Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site and associated ridge and furrow cultivation remains, 145m south of St Mary Magdalene's Church

A Scheduled Monument in Hadnall, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7747 / 52°46'28"N

Longitude: -2.7105 / 2°42'37"W

OS Eastings: 352165.719931

OS Northings: 319917.131289

OS Grid: SJ521199

Mapcode National: GBR 7K.Y83M

Mapcode Global: WH8BG.BJJ5

Entry Name: Moated site and associated ridge and furrow cultivation remains, 145m south of St Mary Magdalene's Church

Scheduled Date: 30 June 1969

Last Amended: 9 May 2001

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1019650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33826

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Hadnall

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Hadnall St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Details

The monument includes the earthwork and buried remains of a medieval moated
site and associated ridge and furrow cultivation remains, situated within the
village of Hadnall.

The earliest known documentary reference to the moated site is in 1327 when a
Commission was appointed to hear and determine a trespass committed against
Hugh de Chenyney, after thieves broke into his house at `Hadenhale'. In
1429-30 the house is recorded as being occupied by Thomas Banaster and it
continued as the Banaster family residence for some considerable time. In the
early 18th century the large timber-framed house that existed here fell into
decay.

The moated site is situated on level ground to the south of the Church of
St Mary Magdalene, a former chapel of ease and now a parish church, dating to
the late 12th century, which was enlarged and altered in subsequent centuries.
The water-filled moat defines a rectangular island approximately 44m east-west
by 55m north-south. The arms of the moat are between 8m and 12m wide, and a 6m
wide causeway, partly surfaced with stone, crosses the middle of the western
arm and provides access to the island.

To the north and west of the moated site are the remains of broad cultivation
strips (ridge and furrow), aligned north-south, that formed part of a medieval
open field system. As these cultivation remains respect the moated site it
would appear that they are both contemporary. A sample of the ridge and
furrow, 40m long and 90m wide, is included in the scheduling in order to
preserve the relationship between these remains and the moated site.

All fences and gate posts, utility poles, and the remains of a modern cast
iron footbridge which crosses the northern end of the eastern moat arm are
excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is
included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 145m south of St Mary Magdalene's Church is a well-preserved
example of this class of monument. The moated island will retain buried
evidence of the buildings that once stood on the site, which together with the
associated artefacts and organic remains will provide valuable evidence about
the occupation and social status of the inhabitants of the site. Organic
remains surviving within the moat will provide information about the changes
to the local environment and the use of the land after the moated site was
constructed. The importance of the site is further enhanced by medieval and
later documentary references, which provide ownership information.

The relationship between the moated site and the ridge and furrow remains
demonstrates the nature of agricultural practices in the area following
the establishment of the moated site.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Blakeway, J B, The History of Shrewsbury Hundred or Liberties, (1897), 228

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.