Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site and a fishpond 160m and 280m south of The Farm, Charlton

A Scheduled Monument in Wrockwardine, Telford and Wrekin

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6966 / 52°41'47"N

Longitude: -2.5965 / 2°35'47"W

OS Eastings: 359785.884304

OS Northings: 311160.018638

OS Grid: SJ597111

Mapcode National: GBR BQ.35H9

Mapcode Global: WH9D1.2HV1

Entry Name: Moated site and a fishpond 160m and 280m south of The Farm, Charlton

Scheduled Date: 18 February 1953

Last Amended: 9 March 2001

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1019649

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33825

County: Telford and Wrekin

Civil Parish: Wrockwardine

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Wrockwardine St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Details

The monument includes the earthwork, buried and upstanding structural remains
of a medieval moated site, a fishpond and associated drainage channels, which
lie within two separate areas of protection.
In 1316 Sir John Charlton was given a licence to crenellate (fortify) the
manor house at Charlton and in 1342 he was allowed to celebrate Mass at the
chapel constructed here. Charlton Castle, as it was known, was apparently used
as a residence of the lords of Powys in the earlier part of the 16th century,
but following the manor's sale in 1588 it fell into disuse.
The moated site was constructed on level ground in an area of undulating land.
The moat defines a rectangular island approximately 55m north west-south
east by 70m south west-north east. The arms of the moat are between 14m and
16m wide and are partially waterlogged. Access to the island is via a 5m wide
causeway, which crosses the northern part of the north western moat arm. A
curtain wall was constructed around the sides of the island and is now
apparent as a low and discontinuous bank, standing up to 0.6m high. Mounds of
demolished and collapsed masonry, level areas bounded by embanked wall
foundations and sections of upstanding masonry up to 3.2m high, indicate that
the castle consisted of ranges of buildings set round a central courtyard. All
visible portions of masonry are comprised of squared and irregular blocks of
limestone and red sandstone.
To the south east of the castle, and aligned north east-south west, is a
large water-filled rectangular fishpond. It is approximately 30m wide by 92m
long and was created by digging into a north facing slope. Water was
originally channelled into the pond from the north east, with a bypass channel
located along its south eastern side. Water was discharged from the pond by
means of an outflow channel situated at its south western corner. The bypass
channel, together with 10m long sections of the inflow and outflow channels,
are included in the scheduling to preserve the relationship between these
features and the fishpond.
All gate and fence posts are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 160m and 280m south of the The Farm, Charlton, is a well-
preserved example of this class of monument. The structural remains of
buildings surviving here, together with associated artefacts and organic
remains existing on the island and in the moat, will provide valuable evidence
about the occupation and social status of the inhabitants. Organic remains
preserved within the moat will also provide information about the changes to
the local environment and the use of the land.
The importance of the site is further enhanced by the documentary sources
which provide valuable information about ownership during the medieval period,
and the changing nature of the manor house.
Fishponds were constructed throughout the medieval period with many dating
from the 12th century. The associated fishpond at Charlton provides additional
evidence about the economy and lifestyle of the occupants of the moated site
during the medieval period.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire: Volume XI, (1985), 313

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.