Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site at Pond Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Eltisley, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2209 / 52°13'15"N

Longitude: -0.1381 / 0°8'17"W

OS Eastings: 527283.670621

OS Northings: 259712.08608

OS Grid: TL272597

Mapcode National: GBR J43.MX8

Mapcode Global: VHGMH.KFBS

Entry Name: Moated site at Pond Farm

Scheduled Date: 9 November 2000

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1019176

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33273

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Eltisley

Built-Up Area: Eltisley

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Eltisley St Pandionia and St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site at Pond Farm, 450m ENE of the
parish church of Eltisley.

The moated site includes a roughly rectangular island which measures 50m
north-south by up to 46m east-west and which is raised by approximately 1.5m
above the surrounding ground surface. This is defined on three sides by a
water-filled moat, measuring up to 8m wide and at least 2m in depth. A
shallow linear depression indicates the position of the west arm of the moat
which was partly infilled in the late 19th century and now survives as a
buried feature. It is believed that the island was originally approached by a
causeway across the western arm of the moat. The present house, which is
located towards the western side of the island, dates from the 16th century
and is believed to represent a successor to an earlier house. The moated site
at Pond Farm represents one of two medieval (manorial) centres in the village,
and was known in 1456 as `le Upende' and in 1851 as `Great Green'. The other
manorial centre, at Manor Farm, located 400m to the south, is the subject of a
separate scheduling (SM33274).

Pond Farmhouse, a Listed Building Grade II, the barn, the walls, all modern
surfaces, steps, fences and gateways are excluded from the scheduling,
although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Despite infilling of the western arm, the moated site at Pond Farm survives
well. The island remains relatively undisturbed and will retain buried
evidence for earlier structures and other features relating to the development
and character of the site throughout its occupation. The buried silts in the
base of the ditches will contain both artefacts relating to early habitation
of the site and environmental evidence for the appearance of the landscape in
which the moated site was set. In addition, the western arm, which was
infilled prior to 1811 when a tithe map was produced, will preserve evidence
for the earliest occupation on the site in its buried silts.

Comparative studies between this site and further examples, both locally and
more widely, will provide valuable insights into the developments of
settlement in medieval England.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire47
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, , West Cambridgeshire, (1968), 97
Other
Title: 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map
Source Date: 1887
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
CRO: XXXVIII:15
Title: Eltisley Enclosure Map
Source Date: 1864
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
CRO: Q/RDc 81

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.