Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barwick medieval village, 50m north east of Barwick Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Ingleby Barwick, Stockton-on-Tees

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5255 / 54°31'31"N

Longitude: -1.333 / 1°19'58"W

OS Eastings: 443267.321316

OS Northings: 514673.853483

OS Grid: NZ432146

Mapcode National: GBR MJ43.6H

Mapcode Global: WHD74.HJG0

Entry Name: Barwick medieval village, 50m north east of Barwick Farm

Scheduled Date: 24 February 1998

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017730

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28569

County: Stockton-on-Tees

Civil Parish: Ingleby Barwick

Built-Up Area: Ingleby Barwick

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ingleby Barwick St Francis

Church of England Diocese: York

Details

The monument includes the deserted remains of the medieval village of Barwick,
situated on the left bank of the River Tees. The earliest reference to a
settlement at Barwick, or its earlier form `Berewick', is contained in a
document of 1086 when it formed part of the manor of Acklam. By 1519 it was
known as the manor of Barwick-upon-Tees and was held by the Crown.
The settlement survives as a series of earthworks in three small fields
immediately north east of Barwick Farm. They are visible as a line of up to
five rectangular enclosures or tofts, orientated roughly north to south,
bounded by low earthen banks standing to a maximum height of 0.3m. The most
easterly two tofts measure 12m by 10m and the remaining three are smaller. The
row of tofts is bounded on the north by a more substantial bank which measures
4m wide and stands to a height of 0.5m; this bank is thought to be the
original northern perimeter bank of the settlement. To the east of the tofts
there are a series of slight earthworks thought to represent further remains
of the medieval settlement. A hollow 4m wide and 0.3m deep is associated with
these earthworks.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Medieval rural settlements in England were marked by great regional diversity
in form, size and type, and the protection of their archaeological remains
needs to take these differences into account. To do this, England has been
divided into three broad Provinces on the basis of each area's distinctive
mixture of nucleated and dispersed settlements. These can be further divided
into sub-Provinces and local regions, possessing characteristics which have
gradually evolved during the past 1500 years or more.
The Tees Valley local region is a rich agricultural lowland, with varied soils
on glacial and alluvial deposits once supporting dense concentrations of
market towns and villages. Depopulation has thinned the numbers of villages,
while enclosure in the 17th and 18th centuries has brought scatters of
isolated farmsteads to landscapes once dominated by great expanses of open,
communally organised townfields.

Medieval villages were organised agricultural communities, sited at the centre
of a parish or township, that shared resources such as arable land, meadow or
woodland. Village plans varied enormously, but when they survive as earthworks
their most distinguishing features include roads and minor tracks, platforms
on which houses stood and other buildings such as barns, enclosed crofts and
small enclosed paddocks. In the central province of England, villages were the
most distinctive aspect of rural life, and their archaeological remains are
one of the most important sources of understanding about rural life in the
five or more centuries following the Norman Conquest.
The medieval village at Barwick Farm retains significant archaeological
deposits and will add greatly to our knowledge of settlement in this area
during the medieval period.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
0454,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.