Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monk's Conduit well house

A Scheduled Monument in Edington, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2759 / 51°16'33"N

Longitude: -2.1096 / 2°6'34"W

OS Eastings: 392449.368914

OS Northings: 152979.191351

OS Grid: ST924529

Mapcode National: GBR 2VN.TQW

Mapcode Global: VH97B.D627

Entry Name: Monk's Conduit well house

Scheduled Date: 17 February 1947

Last Amended: 11 February 2000

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017297

English Heritage Legacy ID: 31695

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Edington

Built-Up Area: Edington

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Edington and Imber

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Details

The monument includes the Monk's Conduit, a 15th century well house situated
in a small valley on a springline in the centre of Edington, a village below
the chalk scarp of Salisbury Plain.
The building is rectangular and measures 3.5m long and 2.5m wide. It is set
into a steep bank so that only the west facing wall, which is 3.5m high with a
triangular gable above a doorway, is visible from outside. The vaulted roof is
stone tiled and supported by two stone ribs. Water rises from apertures in the
back wall and flows into a large stone tank 1m wide and 2.5m long. The water
then overflows the tank and drains through the doorway, forming a small
stream.
The Monk's Conduit is Listed Grade I and, as the name implies, may have been
associated with the Priory of the Bonhommes who were in Edington from 1358 to
1534. The priory church and the walled garden of the priory together with
associated fishponds survive 400m to the north east, and are the subject of a
separate scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Well houses are medieval structures built to protect the water supply to
institutions such as monasteries and abbeys. They are small, typically stone
built structures placed over a spring or near several water sources. The water
which collected in a stone or lead tank was transported to its destination by
lead pipes or gutters. The surrounding structure protected the tank from
contamination.
The Monk's Conduit well house is a well preserved and complete survival which
has served as the outlet of a spring for over 500 years. There is a strong
likelihood that its construction was associated with the Priory of the
Bonhommes.

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.