Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cross in St Lawrence's churchyard

A Scheduled Monument in Wick St. Lawrence, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3844 / 51°23'3"N

Longitude: -2.9117 / 2°54'42"W

OS Eastings: 336649.844

OS Northings: 165432.812002

OS Grid: ST366654

Mapcode National: GBR J9.S28X

Mapcode Global: VH7CD.HG1K

Entry Name: Cross in St Lawrence's churchyard

Scheduled Date: 12 June 1997

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1016198

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28839

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Wick St. Lawrence

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Details

The monument includes an octagonal calvary step and the substructure of a
cross in St. Lawrence's churchyard, Wick St. Lawrence, c.3m south east of the
church porch on a raised area of grass with a church path on two sides.
The calvary step is 3.6m in diameter and 0.1m high with each side of its
octagon being 1.6m long. Probing around the base of the calvary suggests that
there is stone c.0.1m beneath the surface to a width of 0.5m from the base of
the calvary indicating the presence of another calvary step or substructure
below ground level.
The grave slab abutting the cross on its east side and falling within the area
of its protective margin is excluded from the scheduling, though the ground
beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A standing cross is a free standing upright structure, usually of stone,
mostly erected during the medieval period (mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD).
Standing crosses served a variety of functions. In churchyards they served as
stations for outdoor processions, particularly in the observance of Palm
Sunday. Elsewhere, standing crosses were used within settlements as places for
preaching, public proclamation and penance, as well as defining rights of
sanctuary. Standing crosses were also employed to mark boundaries between
parishes, property, or settlements. A few crosses were erected to commemorate
battles. Some crosses were linked to particular saints, whose support and
protection their presence would have helped to invoke. Crosses in market
places may have helped to validate transactions. After the Reformation, some
crosses continued in use as foci for municipal or borough ceremonies, for
example as places for official proclamations and announcements; some were the
scenes of games or recreational activity.
Standing crosses were distributed throughout England and are thought to have
numbered in excess of 12,000. However, their survival since the Reformation
has been variable, being much affected by local conditions, attitudes and
religious sentiment. In particular, many cross-heads were destroyed by
iconoclasts during the 16th and 17th centuries. Less than 2,000 medieval
standing crosses, with or without cross-heads, are now thought to exist. The
oldest and most basic form of standing cross is the monolith, a stone shaft
often set directly in the ground without a base. The most common form is the
stepped cross, in which the shaft is set in a socket stone and raised upon a
flight of steps; this type of cross remained current from the 11th to 12th
centuries until after the Reformation. Where the cross-head survives it may
take a variety of forms, from a lantern-like structure to a crucifix; the more
elaborate examples date from the 15th century. Much less common than stepped
crosses are spire-shaped crosses, often composed of three or four receding
stages with elaborate architectural decoration and/or sculptured figures; the
most famous of these include the Eleanor crosses, erected by Edward I at the
stopping places of the funeral cortege of his wife, who died in 1290. Also
uncommon are the preaching crosses which were built in public places from the
13th century, typically in the cemeteries of religious communities and
cathedrals, market places and wide thoroughfares; they include a stepped base,
buttresses supporting a vaulted canopy, in turn carrying either a shaft and
head or a pinnacled spire. Standing crosses contribute significantly to our
understanding of medieval customs, both secular and religious, and to our
knowledge of medieval parishes and settlement patterns. All crosses which
survive as standing monuments, especially those which stand in or near their
original location, are considered worthy of protection.

Despite a number of elements of the cross being missing, the standing cross in
the churchyard at Wick St. Lawrence survives in what is likely to be its
original location. The medieval cross relates to the church of St. Lawrence
which was erected c.1480. This is one of two crosses within sight of each
other in the village.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Pooley, C, Old Stone Crosses of Somerset, (1877), 26

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.