Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated monastic grange site and fishponds in Paradise Wood, 630m north west of Carlam Hill Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Bransholme East, Kingston upon Hull

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8162 / 53°48'58"N

Longitude: -0.3285 / 0°19'42"W

OS Eastings: 510141.798059

OS Northings: 436843.181524

OS Grid: TA101368

Mapcode National: GBR VS49.NQ

Mapcode Global: WHGFC.XBQR

Entry Name: Moated monastic grange site and fishponds in Paradise Wood, 630m north west of Carlam Hill Farm

Scheduled Date: 14 March 1997

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1016068

English Heritage Legacy ID: 26620

County: Kingston upon Hull

Electoral Ward/Division: Bransholme East

Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Wawne St Peter

Church of England Diocese: York

Details

The monument includes a moated monastic grange site in Paradise Wood, 1km east
of Wawne and 630m north west of Carlam Hill Farm.
The monument includes a central raised island, surrounded on all sides by a
moat, and what are interpreted as two fishponds lying immediately to the east
of the moated site.
The island measures approximately 60m north-south by 45m east-west, and the
moat is between 6m-8m wide and up to 1.5m deep in places.
The first fishpond immediately to the east of the moat is sub-rectangular and
measures about 10m long, 4m wide and about 1m deep.
The second fishpond to the east of the first is approximately oval in shape
and is about 10m north-south by 7m west-east, and is also approximately 1m
deep.
The monument formed a 12th century grange of Meaux Abbey and is reputed to
have been one of the fishing retreats of the Abbots of Meaux. Meaux Abbey lies
2.5km to the North.
Part excavation revealed a cobbled floor and medieval pottery dating to
between c.1300 to c.1500.
Modern post and wire fencing is excluded from the scheduling, although the
ground beneath the fencing is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The monument is recorded as being a former monastic grange of Meaux Abbey.
Monastic granges were farms owned and run by a monastic community. They
are a rare monument class; few examples have been confirmed to have surviving
remains. The Paradise moated monastic grange survives in good condition and
despite part excavation, will retain further evidence of its medieval
occupation.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Le Patourel, H.E J, 'Monograph Series No 5' in The Moated Sites of Yorkshire, (1973), 117
Other
Humberside SMR, Sites and Monuments Record Sheet, (1996)
Humberside SMR, Sites and Monuments Records Sheets, (1996)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.