Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Broomrigg F: two hut circles in Broomrigg Plantation, 900m south east of Street House

A Scheduled Monument in Ainstable, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8106 / 54°48'38"N

Longitude: -2.7082 / 2°42'29"W

OS Eastings: 354579.497002

OS Northings: 546425.017

OS Grid: NY545464

Mapcode National: GBR 9DJT.G9

Mapcode Global: WH80L.CBMY

Entry Name: Broomrigg F: two hut circles in Broomrigg Plantation, 900m south east of Street House

Scheduled Date: 26 May 1960

Last Amended: 20 March 1997

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1015276

English Heritage Legacy ID: 27740

County: Cumbria

Civil Parish: Ainstable

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Ainstable St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Details

The monument includes two adjacent hut circles known as Broomrigg F. They are
located in Broomrigg Plantation and include an irregularly-shaped spread of
earthfast stones which partly protrude through the vegetation cover.
Limited excavation of the site by Hodgson in 1950 found the hut circles to
consist of two rings of stones about 0.3m high and 3.7m in diameter. The
ground within each circle was slightly harder than that outside and the
excavator interpreted this as an indication that the internal floors were the
product of treading by the occupants rather than being a typically made or
true floor. Finds from these floors included two flint flakes considered to be
the waste from flint tool manufacture and a quantity of iron oxide showing
unmistakable signs of having been worked by rubbing. A small quantity of
charcoal was also found.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Stone hut circles and hut circle settlements were the dwelling places of
prehistoric farmers. Most date from the Bronze Age (c.2000-700 BC). The stone-
based round-houses consist of low walls or banks enclosing a circular floor
area; the remains of the turf, thatch or heather roofs are not preserved. The
huts may occur singly or in small or large groups and may lie in the open or
be enclosed by a bank of earth or stone. Frequently traces of their associated
field systems may be found immediately around them. These may be indicated by
areas of clearance cairns and/or the remains of field walls and other
enclosures. The longevity of use of hut circle settlements and their
relationship with other monument types provides important information on the
diversity of social organisation and farming practices amongst prehistoric
communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a
substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
protection.

Despite a combination of limited excavation and forestry planting, the two hut
circles known as Broomrigg F survive reasonably well. They are one of a number
of prehistoric monument types within Broomrigg Plantation including small and
large stone circles, burial cairns, a stone alignment and a standing stone,
and thus indicate the importance of this area in prehistoric times and the
diversity of monument types to be found here. They will contribute to any
further study of the prehistoric exploitation of this area.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Hodgson, K, 'Trans Cumb and West Antiq and Arch Soc. New Ser.' in Further Excavations at Broomrigg, Ainstable, , Vol. LII, (1952), 1-3
Other
Charlesworth, D, (1959)
Crow,J., AM107, (1985)
FMW Report, Lee,J., Stone Circles in Broomrigg Plantation, (1995)
Robertson-Mackay, R, AM7, (1958)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.