Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Middleton Stoney Castle

A Scheduled Monument in Middleton Stoney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9053 / 51°54'19"N

Longitude: -1.2278 / 1°13'40"W

OS Eastings: 453221.454049

OS Northings: 223257.329925

OS Grid: SP532232

Mapcode National: GBR 8X7.GDQ

Mapcode Global: VHCX2.NCSQ

Entry Name: Middleton Stoney Castle

Scheduled Date: 1 October 1973

Last Amended: 23 December 1996

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1015164

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28134

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Middleton Stoney

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Middleton Stoney

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Details

The monument includes a motte and bailey castle at Middleton Stoney set within
an earlier enclosure bank which also includes a Roman building, the base of a
medieval cross, which has been relocated to the castle bailey from the nearby
churchyard, an early post-medieval rabbit warren and a sample of the
surrounding medieval field system where it meets the castle earthworks. The
site lies within parkland adjacent to All Saints Church c.250m south west of
the present village of Middleton Stoney.
The castle includes an earthen motte built around a stone tower, enclosed by a
deep ditch and, to the north west, a later bailey with a bank and ditch
enclosing a series of buildings, courtyards and other associated features.
Only the earthwork motte, sections of the bank and partly infilled sections of
the ditch remain visible at ground level. However, it is known from part
excavation during the 1970s that substantial remains survive as buried
features.
The tower has 3m thick walls which enclose a rectangular area 10.5m by 7m
across. Its walls survive, within the mound of the motte, to 1.3m high,
resting on the original ground surface. The tower's long axis runs
roughly north west-south east and all four corners are buttressed. Within the
width of the wall in the eastern corner of the tower, a 1.7m by 1.4m wide
shaft was found. When excavated this was found to be 3.2m deep and is believed
to have been a water tank. A staircase running up the north west side of the
motte and then up the outside of the tower on the south east side was also
found.
The motte was originally circular although it has since been distorted in
shape by landscaping. It measures c.36m in diameter and stands c.4m high.
Surrounding it, but no longer visible at ground level, is a broad,
flat-bottomed ditch c.5m wide and 3m deep. This ditch provided a quarry for
the material of the motte and also contributed to the overall plan of the
defences.
The main bailey ditch to the north west measures 5.5m wide and c.1.5m deep,
although it is now mostly infilled. The enclosure measures 70m by 100m across.
Within it, excavation has shown that there are a number of buildings, pits,
walls and other features which relate to the period of the castle's
occupation.
Within the bailey are the remains of a medieval standing cross, Listed Grade
II and once sited in the adjacent churchyard. The cross includes a square
based octagonal socket stone c.0.8m across upon which rests the broken base of
an octagonal shaft c.1.5m high. The top of the shaft and the head of the cross
are no longer present. It is known to have been one of two standing crosses
shown on a farm map of 1737. The whereabouts of the other cross is no longer
known. The castle lies to the north west of a small rectangular enclosure
aligned north east-south west. This enclosure is defined on three sides by an
earthen bank c.10m wide and up to 1.5m above the present ground level. The
area enclosed measures c.70m by c.35m. Part excavation has shown that this
bank is surrounded by a ditch 3m wide and c.2m deep although it is now largely
infilled. Both features were modified during the later landscaping of the
park.
The excavations showed that the bank overlay a surface associated with a Roman
building, suggesting that the bank is of early medieval date. The building was
rectangular in plan with its long axis running north east-south west. It
measures 12.5m by 7.9m internally and has walls c.0.5m thick. These were built
of limestone with the outer face of dressed blocks and a rubble core. The
building had a gulley feature running along it and was later modified. Further
Roman structures and sections of wall were found, suggesting that the site was
either a farmstead or small villa. To the south east lies a further banked and
ditched enclosure which measures 130m from north west-south east and 110m from
south west-north east. The bank is c.3m wide and stands up to 1.5m high, above
the original ground surface. Its adjacent quarry ditch lies inside the bank
and although largely infilled, is known from limited excavation to measure
2.5m wide and 0.7m deep. Pottery evidence dates the ditch fill to the post-
medieval period and the enclosure almost certainly defines a warren, recorded
in documentary sources, though it may originally have been associated with the
castle.
Surrounding the castle and still visible in places, despite later landscaping,
are traces of medieval fields and ridge and furrow cultivation. Traces of
these extend well beyond the monument but are not visible at ground level
immediately adjacent to it.
It is known from documentary sources that the castle was probably built by the
de Granville family during the late 1100s in a period known as the Anarchy. In
1202 they were granted the right to create an enclosed park but only a few
years later, in 1216, there was a royal order for the destruction of the
castle. It was visited by Leland in 1530 when the ruins were overgrown but
some walls were still visible above ground. It is also documented that Sir
Edmund Denton built a banked and walled warren before 1700. Further
landscaping, mainly in the 18th century, has further changed the appearance of
the monument to its present form.
Excluded from the scheduling are the fences, churchyard wall and surfaced
drive which cross it, although, the land beneath all of these is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Motte and bailey castles are medieval fortifications introduced into Britain
by the Normans. They comprised a large conical mound of earth or rubble, the
motte, surmounted by a palisade and a stone or timber tower. In a majority of
examples an embanked enclosure containing additional buildings, the bailey,
adjoined the motte. Motte castles and motte-and-bailey castles acted as
garrison forts during offensive military operations, as strongholds, and, in
many cases, as aristocratic residences and as centres of local or royal
administration. Built in towns, villages and open countryside, motte and
bailey castles generally occupied strategic positions dominating their
immediate locality and, as a result, are the most visually impressive
monuments of the early post-Conquest period surviving in the modern landscape.
Over 600 motte castles or motte-and-bailey castles are recorded nationally,
with examples known from most regions. As one of a restricted range of
recognised early post-Conquest monuments, they are particularly important for
the study of Norman Britain and the development of the feudal system. Although
many were occupied for only a short period of time, motte castles continued to
be built and occupied from the 11th to the 13th centuries, after which they
were superseded by other types of castle.

Middleton Stoney motte and bailey castle survives as an impressive earthwork
and is a good example of its class. It is known from excavation that it
contains archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its
construction, function and the landscape in which it was built.
The castle is unusual in being built on the site of an earlier Roman building
and early medieval enclosure. It also appears to have been central to various
changes in land management during the later medieval period: an enclosed
warren was built to the south east of the castle in the 17th century, while
village earthworks and traces of cultivation surround the site. A standing
cross was moved into the castle bailey, perhaps from the nearby churchyard,
while further landscaping occurred in the 18th century.
The complex sequence of development witnessed in and around Middleton Stoney
Castle will be of interest in studies of landscape evolution generally,
providing evidence for the different ways in which the local inhabitants
regarded this site throughout the course of the last 2000 years.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), various
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 44
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 42-44
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 65
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 63
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 68
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 69
Rahtz, S, Rowley, T, Excavation and Survey in a North Oxon. Parish, (1984), 50-68
Other
64:5/110, D.O.E., LISTED BUILDINGS, CHERWELL, (1991)
Comparison to site excavated by me, Jeffery, P.P., South Gate Excavations Exeter, (1995)
PRN 1148 note 2, C.A.O., CASTLE, (1992)
PRN 1148, C.A.O., CASTLE, (1992)
PRN 14106, C.A.O., Warren, (1992)
PRN 3309, C.A.O., Site of Roman Building, (1992)
PRN 3886 note 2, comment, C.A.O., Medieval Cross, (1992)
PRN 3886 note 2, reference, C.A.O., Medieval Cross, (1992)
PRN 3886 note 3, C.A.O., Medieval Cross, (1992)
PRN 3886, C.A.O., Medieval Cross, (1992)
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:10000 Series
Source Date: 1980
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
SP 52 SW
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:10000 Series
Source Date: 1980
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
SP 52 SW

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.