Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Five round barrows 1040m NNE of Baltic Farm forming part of a barrow cemetery on North Down

A Scheduled Monument in Bishops Cannings, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4089 / 51°24'31"N

Longitude: -1.9343 / 1°56'3"W

OS Eastings: 404666.261894

OS Northings: 167760.674637

OS Grid: SU046677

Mapcode National: GBR 3VN.PS9

Mapcode Global: VHB43.FV8B

Entry Name: Five round barrows 1040m NNE of Baltic Farm forming part of a barrow cemetery on North Down

Scheduled Date: 10 November 1964

Last Amended: 11 January 1996

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1014737

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21887

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bishops Cannings

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bishop's Cannings and Etchilhampton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Details

The monument includes a group of round barrows aligned north east to south
west forming part of a round barrow cemetery situated on North Down. The
cemetery contains a total of 18 barrows in all. This monument contains five,
including two disc barrows, a pond barrow, a bell barrow and a bowl barrow.
The two disc barrows lie at the western end of the group. Both barrows have
small, central mounds measuring between 7.5m and 8.8m in diameter and standing
from 0.3m up to 0.6m high. The mounds are surrounded by wide, level berms
which measure from 6.5m to 8.8m wide. Beyond this lie enclosing quarry ditches
from which material was obtained during the construction of the mounds and the
outer banks. These ditches measure from 3.6m to 4m wide and are visible as
open features c.0.3m deep. Surrounding the ditches are outer banks 3.6m to 4m
wide and standing up to 0.3m high above ground level. The western mound has
suffered damage due to ploughing in the past and the bank is now difficult to
see at ground level.
One of these barrows was excavated in 1804 when a primary cremation contained
in an urn was recovered. This was accompanied by slate, bone and amber objects
including beads.
The bell barrow has a mound which measures 16.5m in diameter and stands up to
2m high. Its wide berm is 3.6m wide and is surrounded by a 3m wide quarry
ditch which survives as a slight depression visible at ground level and up to
0.2m deep. There is a hollow depression in the centre of the mound which
indicates that it has been excavated, although it is not known if this was
done in 1804 when some of the other barrows were excavated.
The bowl barrow has been reduced by cultivation to a low earthwork spread just
visible at ground level. However, it is known from previous records and aerial
photographs that the mound measures 8.5m in diameter and stood 0.3m high in
the 1960s. It is now c.0.2m high. Surrounding the mound, but no longer visible
at ground level, is a quarry ditch which has become infilled over the years.
This survives as a buried feature 2m wide. The barrow was partly excavated in
1804 without result and again in 1857 when a large urn containing a cremation
was found.
The pond barrow has a hollow 28m in diameter and 0.9m deep at the centre. This
is enclosed by a 5.5m wide bank which stands up to 0.6m high.
Excluded from the scheduling are the post and wire fences around a number of
the mounds although the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A small number of areas in southern England appear to have acted as foci for
ceremonial and ritual activity during the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age
periods. Two of the best known and earliest recognised, with references in the
17th century, are around Avebury and Stonehenge, now jointly designated as a
World Heritage Site. In the Avebury area, the henge monument itself, the West
Kennet Avenue, the Sanctuary, West Kennet long barrow, Windmill Hill
causewayed enclosure and the enigmatic Silbury Hill are well-known. Whilst the
other Neolithic long barrows, the many Bronze Age round barrows and other
associated sites are less well-known, together they define one of the richest
and most varied areas of Neolithic and Bronze Age ceremonial and ritual
monuments in the country. Round barrow cemeteries date to the Bronze Age
(2000-700 BC). They comprise closely-spaced groups of up to 30 round barrows -
rubble or earthen mounds covering single or multiple burials. Most cemeteries
developed over a considerable period of time, often many centuries, and in
some cases acted as a focus for burials as late as the early medieval period.
They exhibit considerable diversity of burial rite, plan and form, frequently
including several different types of round barrow and occasionally associated
with earlier long barrows. Where investigation beyond the round barrows has
occurred, contemporary or later `flat' burials between the barrow mounds have
often been revealed. Round barrow cemeteries occur across most of lowland
England with a marked concentration in Wessex. In some cases they are
clustered around other important contemporary monuments, as is the case both
here and at Stonehenge. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major
historic element in the modern landscape, while their diversity and their
longevity as a monument type provide important information on the variety of
beliefs and social organisation amongst early prehistoric communities. All
examples are considered worthy of protection.

This group of barrows, like the cemetery to which it belongs, includes a
variety of examples of rare barrow types, all of which survive well. The pond
barrow is one of the best recorded examples of its class.
Part excavations within the cemetery have demonstrated the extent to which
archaeological remains survive. These remains will include archaeological and
environmental evidence relating to the cemetery and the landscape in which it
was built.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Grinsell, L V, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1957), 216
Grinsell, LV, 'A History of Wiltshire' in A History of Wiltshire, (1957), 208
Grinsell, LV, 'A History of Wiltshire' in A History of Wiltshire, (1957), 157
Wiltshire Arch And Natural History Society, , 'Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine' in Thurnham, , Vol. vi, ()
Other
AER 785-7, Various, Various, (1947)
AER 785-7, Various, Various, (1947)
SU06NW 628, C.A.O., DISC BARROW, (1992)
SU06NW 638, C.A.O., DISC BARROW, (1993)
SU06NW 638, C.A.O., DISC, (1993)
SU06NW 639, C.A.O., 1:10,560 Map (SMR overlay), (1992)
SU06NW 639, C.A.O., DISC BARROW, (1992)
SU06NW 639, C.A.O., DISC BARROW, (1993)
SU06NW 639, C.A.O., DISC, (1993)
SU06NW 640, C.A.O., BELL BARROW, (1993)
SU06NW 640, C.A.O., BELL, (1993)
SU06NW 641, C.A.O., Pond Barrow, (1993)
SU06NW 641, C.A.O., Pond, (1993)
SU06NW 649 ref. to 1804 excavation, C.A.O., BOWL BARROW, (1993)
SU06NW 649, C.A.O., BOWL BARROW, (1993)
SU06NW 649, C.A.O., BOWL, (1993)
Title: Ordnance Survey 1:10560 (SMR overlay)
Source Date: 1960
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
SU06NW (overlay)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.