Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Campden House, formal Garden and associated Medieval cultivation earthworks.

A Scheduled Monument in Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0512 / 52°3'4"N

Longitude: -1.7737 / 1°46'25"W

OS Eastings: 415611.886939

OS Northings: 239224.479094

OS Grid: SP156392

Mapcode National: GBR 4NG.8CY

Mapcode Global: VHB13.6PNX

Entry Name: Campden House, formal Garden and associated Medieval cultivation earthworks.

Scheduled Date: 21 December 1989

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1013875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 11504

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Chipping Campden

Built-Up Area: Chipping Campden

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Campden St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Details

The monument includes the standing and below-ground remains of the
early 17th century Campden House, the related garden earthworks, canals
and ornamental features and an area of earlier associated cultivation
earthworks. Campden House was destroyed during the Civil War, only a
fragment of the south facade survives above ground. The gardens
include; entrance courts north of the house, currently overlain by
orchard ridges; an upper terraced walk; a large square inner garden
with raised terraces on two sides, the paths visible below orchard
planting; the lower garden features paired terraces, alternately broad
and narrow; and to the east a Water Parterre, a small water garden. The
garden is defined by an angled canal with returns at the east and west
end and bounded by the Cam to the south and south east. The bed of the
River Cam is included here as it is considered that in this stretch it
has been canalised. The water running through it is excluded.
To the east is a straight canal fed by a stone faced spring with a mount
at its south end. An earthen causeway crosses the valley to Lady Juliana's
Gateway and spans the Scuttlebrook which fed a water feature. Over a
flat meadow a circular feature is considered to be the remains of a
viewing platform. Further east is a fine example of Medieval ridge and
furrow, predating and possibly underlying the formal gardens.
The East and West Banqueting houses (both Listed Grade II*) and the
Almonry are excluded from the schedule, although the land beneath them
is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

As a class of monument, gardens are unusual in that, during their
period of use, they are frequently redesigned as fashions and tastes
change. Relict gardens are, therefore, particularly rare because they
retain their original design or the design of a particular period. The
gardens of Campden House represent an exceptional survival of a high
quality Rennaissance formal garden. Normally gardens of this period are
known only from documentary and art historical sources. The gardens
are particularly interesting because of their short lifespan, from 1609
to 1645, when Campden House was destroyed in the Civil War. As such the
gardens have suffered few alterations from their original layout.

The design of the garden includes a large number of diverse features
including terraces, walls, a prospect, water gardens and banqueting
houses. Most survive in excellent condition despite the loss of Campden
House itself. The importance of the gardens is enhanced by their
association with earlier cultivation earthworks dating from the
Medieval period. The ridge and furrows and clearly defined headlands
survive in excellent condition in a small park east of the formal
gardens.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
A81/4
Rushen, P W, The History and Antiquities of Chipping Campden, (1899)
Other
Everson, P, RCHME Survey,
Kings Maps Top XIII.75.3,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.