Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Deserted village of Norton Sub Edge south east of White's Farm (now Norton Sub Edge Farm)

A Scheduled Monument in Weston Subedge, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0867 / 52°5'12"N

Longitude: -1.8021 / 1°48'7"W

OS Eastings: 413654.11412

OS Northings: 243170.41874

OS Grid: SP136431

Mapcode National: GBR 4N1.17C

Mapcode Global: VHB0W.QT46

Entry Name: Deserted village of Norton Sub Edge SE of White's Farm (now Norton Sub Edge Farm)

Scheduled Date: 12 June 1959

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1003589

English Heritage Legacy ID: GC 400

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Weston Subedge

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Weston-sub-Edge with Aston-sub-Edge

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Summary

Moat and deserted medieval village 160m south of White’s Farm.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 24 September 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes a moat and surrounding deserted medieval village situated on relatively low lying and gently sloping ground immediately to the north of a tributary to The Cam. The moat survives as a trapezoidal shaped platform measuring up to 63m long by 45m wide defined by a 12m wide ditch. This represents the site of a moated house and to the south are a series of restored fish ponds and to the north and west radiating out from the moat are hollow ways formed by banks and ditches which run between the boundary banks and building platforms of numerous farmsteads, dwellings and ancillary buildings all preserved as clearly defined and extensive earthworks. The village of ‘Norton Sub Edge’ also included a church or chapel which is known through documentary evidence although its exact location is not clear.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The village, comprising a small group of houses, gardens, yards, streets, paddocks, often with a green, a manor and a church, and with a community devoted primarily to agriculture, was a significant component of the rural landscape in most areas of medieval England, much as it is today. Villages provided some services to the local community and acted as the main focal point of ecclesiastical, and often of manorial, administration within each parish. Although the sites of many of these villages have been occupied continuously down to the present day, many others declined in size or were abandoned throughout the medieval and post-medieval periods, particularly during the 14th and 15th centuries. As a result over 2000 deserted medieval villages are recorded nationally. The reasons for desertion were varied but often reflected declining economic viability, changes in land use such as enclosure or emparkment, or population fluctuations as a result of widespread epidemics such as the Black Death. As a consequence of their abandonment these villages are frequently undisturbed by later occupation and contain well-preserved archaeological deposits. Because they are a common and long-lived monument type in most parts of England, they provide important information on the diversity of medieval settlement patterns and farming economy between the regions and through time. Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moat and deserted medieval village 160m south of White’s Farm survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, longevity, social, political and economic significance, agricultural practices, trade, industrial activity, domestic arrangements, abandonment and overall landscape context.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape 330807

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.