Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site and two fishponds at Black Notley churchyard, 20m east of St Peter's and St Paul's Church

A Scheduled Monument in Black Notley, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8571 / 51°51'25"N

Longitude: 0.5574 / 0°33'26"E

OS Eastings: 576210.895374

OS Northings: 220707.986027

OS Grid: TL762207

Mapcode National: GBR PJ3.HQQ

Mapcode Global: VHJJJ.ML05

Entry Name: Moated site and two fishponds at Black Notley churchyard, 20m east of St Peter's and St Paul's Church

Scheduled Date: 22 January 1996

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1013763

English Heritage Legacy ID: 20769

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Black Notley

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Black Notley

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Details

The monument includes a moated site and two fishponds situated on gently
sloping ground 20m east of St Peter and St Paul's Church. The moated site and
fishponds are all orientated north west-south east, the moated site in the
centre, with one fishpond to the north west and the other to the south east,
both connected to the moated site by leats. The moat, fishponds and leats are
dry and survive as earthworks.
The moated site forms an irregular rectangle in plan tapering slightly to the
north west. It has overall dimensions of 43m north west-south east by a
maximum of 41m north east-south west. The moat has an average width of 13m
and a maximum depth of 1.5m depth. The north western fishpond is connected to
the moat by a leat 5m long and has maximum dimensions of 25m north west-
south east by 20m south west-north east.
The south western fishpond is connected to the moated site by a leat 30m long
by 5m wide which has been cut by a later trackway. This fishpond, again on the
same orientation, measures 22m north west-south east by 16m south west-north
east. Both leats' junctions with the moat arms are slightly narrowed; a
pattern of silting which suggests that originally wooden sluices would have
controlled water at these points.
There is no evidence that the moat island was ever occupied and it was
probably created as part of the fish husbandry on the site. The site was
probably part of the estate of the adjacent Black Notley Hall which lies 100m
to the south west. It retains a 15th century barn (Listed Grade II), of
similar date to the fishponds (though not included in the scheduling). Also
contemporary with the site and situated 20m west of it is the Church of St
Peter and St Paul, which is not included in the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Black Notley is especially well preserved as it is situated
under pasture and has never been ploughed or excavated. It will contain
archaeological deposits related to its construction and use. The small size of
the moated site here is unusual in Essex.
Of particular significance is the close proximity of the site to other related
medieval structures such as the church and the Hall (with its contemporary
barn), which allow a study to be made of the development of the site in its
local context.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission for Historic Monuments, , The Monuments of Central and South East Essex, (1921), 18-21
Royal Commission for Historic Monuments, , The Monuments of Central and South East Essex, (1921), 18-21
Royal Commission for Historic Monuments, , The Monuments of Central and South East Essex, (1921), 18-21
Other
Title: Information from OS Card
Source Date: 1975
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
TL 72 SE 27
Title: Information from OS Card
Source Date: 1975
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
TL 72 SE 27
Title: Information from OS Card
Source Date: 1975
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
TL 72 SE 27
TL 72 SE 27, Royal Commision for Historic Monuments, Information from NAR, (1950)
TL 72 SE 27, Royal Commision for Historic Monuments, Information from NAR, (1950)
TL 72 SE 27, Royal Commision for Historic Monuments, Information from NAR, (1950)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.