Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Loyes moated site and fishpond

A Scheduled Monument in Terling, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8135 / 51°48'48"N

Longitude: 0.5724 / 0°34'20"E

OS Eastings: 577418.892326

OS Northings: 215892.363137

OS Grid: TL774158

Mapcode National: GBR PJQ.7JT

Mapcode Global: VHJJQ.VPZ4

Entry Name: Great Loyes moated site and fishpond

Scheduled Date: 29 July 1994

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1008979

English Heritage Legacy ID: 20756

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Terling

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Terling All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Details

The monument at Great Loyes includes a moated site with an internal fishpond
situated in the Brain River valley, 1km north of Terling parish church. The
moated site is quadrilateral in shape and measures a maximum of 85m NE-SW by a
maximum of 97m NW-SE. The arms are between 8m and 10m in width and are all
water-filled by a spring. The southern arm and southern parts of the east and
west arms have been revetted in brick during the Victorian period. A causeway,
25m wide, gives access to the island across the south west arm and is
considered to be the original entrance onto the island. Another causeway,
about 6m wide, across the north eastern arm is considered to be more recent in
date. A modern footbridge, constructed of wood, crosses the south eastern arm.
The island is occupied by a 17th century house with later additions which is
Listed Grade II. Some of the timbers in the house are reused smoke blackened
rafters from a medieval hall which may have been the previous house on the
site. Two modern outbuildings and a greenhouse are also situated on the island
to the north of the house. A small internal fishpond, which measures 15m NW-SE
by 13m NE-SW and is also water-filled, occupies the island. It is joined to
the north western moat arm by a small channel, 3m wide.
The site is that associated with John `Loy' in 1344.
The house, outbuildings, garden wall, greenhouse, driveway and footbridge are
all excluded from the scheduling though the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Great Loyes is well preserved and will retain valuable
archaeological information relating to the occupation of the site and the
character of the original buildings here. The site has the additional unusual
feature of a well preserved, internal fishpond. The water-filled ditches will
retain environmental evidence relating to the economy of its inhabitants and
the landscape in which they lived.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935), 298

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.