Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bailey Hall moated site, fishponds and chantry of St John the Baptist.

A Scheduled Monument in Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8311 / 53°49'51"N

Longitude: -2.49 / 2°29'24"W

OS Eastings: 367845.629455

OS Northings: 437314.514759

OS Grid: SD678373

Mapcode National: GBR CS14.QD

Mapcode Global: WH96G.QYGW

Entry Name: Bailey Hall moated site, fishponds and chantry of St John the Baptist.

Scheduled Date: 20 May 1991

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1012619

English Heritage Legacy ID: 13423

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Hurst Green St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Details

The monument at Bailey Hall is a well preserved dry moat surrounding a
platform upon which is located the late 16th century Bailey Hall, an
adjacent outbuilding, access road and garden, and the ruins of the Chantry
of St John the Baptist. Two hollows to the W of the moated enclosure are
interpreted as fishponds. Bailey Hall, the chapel ruins and an adjacent
barn are all listed grade II. Bailey Hall was the manor house of the
Cliderours in the 13th century.
The moat survives in almost perfect condition on the E and W sides but has
been partly infilled on the S. On the N side there is a short length of
moat surviving at the NE corner. A prominent outer bank exists along the E
and NE sides with a gap in the centre of the E side. E of this gap is a low
oval mound. A low inner bank exists at the NE corner of the island.
The ruins of the early 14th century chapel of St John the Baptist stand to
the N of Bailey Hall. The N and E wall of this chapel survive to a max.
height of 1.7m.
Bailey Hall, its outbuilding and connecting wall, the E end of the access
road, and all fencing on the monument is excluded from the scheduling. The
ground beneath all these features, however, is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Bailey Hall survives well, the earthworks being
particularly evident. Also of particular note is the unusual survival of a
chapel within the moated enclosure. Indeed this is the only moated site in
Lancashire known to have contained a parochial chapel.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Newdigate, Rev C A, Cheetham, F H, 'Historical Society of Lancashire and Cheshire' in The Chantry Of St John The Baptist At Bailey, , Vol. LXVIII, (1916), 161
Newdigate, Rev C A, Cheetham, F H, 'Historical Society of Lancashire and Cheshire' in The Chantry Of St John The Baptist At Bailey, , Vol. LXVIII, (1916), 151
Newdigate, Rev C A, Cheetham, F H, 'Historical Society of Lancashire and Cheshire' in The Chantry Of St John The Baptist At Bailey, , Vol. LXVIII, (1916), 163
Other
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1988)
Lancs. SMR PRN 1025,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.