Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Norbury Manor moated site, 8 fishponds and connecting channels

A Scheduled Monument in Norbury, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8067 / 52°48'24"N

Longitude: -2.304 / 2°18'14"W

OS Eastings: 379602.851858

OS Northings: 323282.174272

OS Grid: SJ796232

Mapcode National: GBR 05C.0B1

Mapcode Global: WH9CL.LQ25

Entry Name: Norbury Manor moated site, 8 fishponds and connecting channels

Scheduled Date: 10 March 1969

Last Amended: 20 January 1992

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1011875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 13471

County: Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Norbury

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Norbury St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Details

The monument at Norbury Manor is a moated site to the N and W of which lies an
extensive system of fishponds and connecting channels. The site includes a
raised grass covered island measuring c.60m x 40m revetted all round by a fine
sandstone ashlar wall 2.4m high and surrounded by a wet moat c.14m max. width
x 4m deep. Access to the island is by a causeway on the E side. An original
and well preserved timber sluice exists within the outlet channel flowing
beneath the track close to the moat's SE corner. Adjacent to the moat's N arm
are two dry fishponds, the larger originally fed by a channel connecting with
a stream to the N and possessing a short outlet channel entering into the moat
at its NE corner. The moat is further fed by two streams entering its W arm.
The southerly of these brought water from a series of five fishponds some 150m
to the W of the moat by a complex of connecting channels, while the northerly
stream collected water from a pond flanked by a substantial bank c.80m NW of
the moat. Ralph le Botiller succeeded to the fortified manor house of Norbury
on the death of Philip Marmion in 1291. It was later sold to the Skrymshers
during the reign of Henry VIII (1509-47) and eventually demolished early in
the 19th century.
The monument is divided into three separate constraint areas. The track and a
concrete pipe above the timber outlet sluice, a corrugated shed on the island,
and all fencing and a gate are excluded from the scheduling. The ground
beneath all these features, however, is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The site of the fortified Norbury Manor House survives in good condition. The
island remains unexcavated and unencumbered by modern development,
consequently substantial remains of structural foundations will survive. The
island still retains its fine sandstone ashlar revetting wall, while the
moat's original timber outlet sluice remains well preserved. In addition the
site is complemented by an unusually extensive, well preserved and complex
system of fishponds and connecting channels interlinked with each other
and/or the moat.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Moats, (1988)
Dennison, E, MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Fishponds, (1987)
Dennison, E., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Fishponds, (1988)
Mr. R.J. Lewis (Norbury Manor Estate Manager), To Robinson, K.D. MPPFW, (1990)
PRN 188, Staffordshire SMR, Norbury Manor, Norbury,
Snowdon, C.A., AM 107, (1988)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.