Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Univallate prehistoric defended enclosure, hollow way and secondary enclosure 250m north of Claughton Hall

A Scheduled Monument in Claughton, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0911 / 54°5'27"N

Longitude: -2.6546 / 2°39'16"W

OS Eastings: 357277.595722

OS Northings: 466326.800645

OS Grid: SD572663

Mapcode National: GBR 9PX4.26

Mapcode Global: WH957.6F4K

Entry Name: Univallate prehistoric defended enclosure, hollow way and secondary enclosure 250m north of Claughton Hall

Scheduled Date: 13 October 1980

Last Amended: 8 February 1995

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1011684

English Heritage Legacy ID: 23761

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Claughton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Hornby with Claughton

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Details

The monument includes a univallate prehistoric defended enclosure and an
associated hollow way and secondary enclosure to the north west and west of
the main defended enclosure respectively. It is located on a slight terrace on
the lower slopes of Claughton Moor overlooking the Lune valley. The
prehistoric enclosure is approximately D-shaped and measures a maximum of
c.58m by 57m internally. It is defended by a shallow ditch up to 9m wide with
a slight counterscarp bank varying between 3m-10m wide and up to 0.4m high on
the north and south west sides. At the centre of the enclosure there is an
oval-shaped terraced area measuring 17m by 14m which is interpreted as a hut
circle or hut platform. It has been cut into the slight hillslope and has a
shallow ditch on its southern side. There is an entrance on the enclosure's
north western side from which a hollow way measuring 10m-15m wide runs
downhill towards the valley bottom for a short distance. Adjacent to the
western side of the main enclosure there is a sub-rectangular secondary
enclosure measuring 70m by 45m at its widest points and defended by a slight
ditch on its north west and south west sides.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

During the mid-prehistoric period (seventh to fifth centuries BC) a variety of
different types of defensive settlements began to be constructed and occupied
in the northern uplands of England. The most obvious sites were hillforts
built in prominent locations. In addition to these a range of smaller sites,
sometimes with an enclosed area of less than 1ha and defined as defended
settlements, were also constructed. Some of these were located on hilltops,
others are found in less prominent positions. The enclosing defences were of
earthen construction, some sites having a single bank and ditch (univallate),
others having more than one (multivallate). At some sites these earthen
ramparts represent a second phase of defence, the first having been a timber
fence or palisade. Within the enclosure a number of stone or timber-built
round houses were occupied by the inhabitants. Stock may also have been kept
in these houses, especially during the cold winter months, or in enclosed
yards outside them. The communities occupying these sites were probably single
family groups, the defended settlements being used as farmsteads. Construction
and use of this type of site extended over several centuries, possibly through
to the early Romano-British period (mid to late first century AD).
Defended settlements are a rare monument type. They were an important element
of the later prehistoric settlement pattern of the northern uplands and are
important for any study of the developing use of fortified settlements during
this period. All well-preserved examples are believed to be of national
importance.

Despite being partially crossed by three modern field boundaries which have
subsequently been removed, the univallate hillfort, hollow way and secondary
enclosure 250m north of Claughton Hall survives reasonably well. It overlooks
the River Lune and is one of a number of prehistoric and Romano-British
settlements similarly located in close proximity to the Lune valley. The
monument will contribute to any further study of early settlement patterns in
the area.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
In Lancs SMR, Gibbon, P, Claughton, (1978)
Lancs SMR Ref No. 1197, Gibbon, P, Claughton, (1978)
Lancs SMR Ref No. 1197, Gibbon, P, Claughton, (1978)
SMR No. 1197, Lancs SMR, Claughton, (1984)
Title:
Source Date:
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
1:10000 & 1:2500

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.