Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bowl barrow 980m south west of Redhouse Farm: part of a barrow cemetery on Levington Heath

A Scheduled Monument in Levington, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0179 / 52°1'4"N

Longitude: 1.2696 / 1°16'10"E

OS Eastings: 624442.23969

OS Northings: 240543.029657

OS Grid: TM244405

Mapcode National: GBR VPR.HSH

Mapcode Global: VHLC1.YJJY

Entry Name: Bowl barrow 980m south west of Redhouse Farm: part of a barrow cemetery on Levington Heath

Scheduled Date: 26 May 1960

Last Amended: 22 November 1993

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1011343

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21292

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Levington

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Levington

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow within Levington Heath barrow cemetery,
situated on level ground 100m south east of the parish boundary between
Levington and Bucklesham, which lies to the north. It is visible as a low
earthen mound and is marked, also, by a light coloured sandy patch in the
ploughsoil. In 1959, when it was already under cultivation, the mound was
recorded as measuring approximately 0.9m in height and 25m in diameter. Since
then it has been reduced by ploughing, and now stands to a height of
approximately 0.3m and covers a circular area approximately 22m in diameter.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 3 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
protection.

The barrow 980m south west of Redhouse Farm is one of the visible components
of a round barrow cemetery. Most such cemeteries developed over a
considerable period of time, often many centuries, and in some cases acted as
a focus for burials as late as the early medieval period. They exhibit
considerable diversity of burial rite, plan and form, frequently including
different types of round barrow and, wherever large scale investigation has
been undertaken, revealing contemporary or later `flat' burials between the
barrow mounds. Although the barrow mound has been reduced by ploughing, the
monument retains important archaeological information, both in itself and in
relation to the cemetery as a whole. Evidence concerning the manner and
duration of use of the barrow, and also the local environment at and prior to
that time, will be contained in the soils preserved beneath the mound. The
Levington Heath barrow cemetery is part of a larger group of round barrows and
circular ditched enclosures which extend in a line to the north west, over a
distance of 3km, to Seven Hills, Nacton. The parish boundary between
Levington and Nacton, to the south, and Bucklesham and Foxhall, to the west,
follows the same line, showing a relationship which is of particular interest
for the study of the prehistoric and medieval landscape history of the area.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
AM7, (1959)
Suffolk SMR ACQ 30, 31,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.