Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Green Low ringcairn

A Scheduled Monument in Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3437 / 53°20'37"N

Longitude: -1.8752 / 1°52'30"W

OS Eastings: 408403.642071

OS Northings: 382988.852001

OS Grid: SK084829

Mapcode National: GBR HYBS.T2

Mapcode Global: WHCCK.569Y

Entry Name: Green Low ringcairn

Scheduled Date: 28 January 1972

Last Amended: 11 January 1993

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1009521

English Heritage Legacy ID: 13370

County: Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Chapel-en-le-Frith

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Chapel-en-le-Frith St Thomas a Becket

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Details

Green Low ringcairn is situated on the northern gritstone moorlands of
Derbyshire. The monument includes a roughly circular bank of grassed-over
stone and also the features enclosed by this bank which include the disturbed
remains of a low mound and a number of pits. The bank stands c.0.5m high and
is between 2m and 3m wide. It forms a ring measuring 21.5m by 20m inside
which there are two large pits on the south side, each measuring c.1m by
0.75m. North of these, lying slightly off-centre, is a low sub-circular ring
of c.6m diameter inside which, at the northern end, is another smaller pit.
These are the remains of a mound partially excavated by W J Andrew in 1908 and
found to contain a collared urn, two stone implements and an incense cup.
Ringcairns date to the Early and Middle Bronze Age and it is not yet clear
whether the Bronze Age artefacts recovered by Andrew belong to the period of
construction or to a slightly later phase of secondary use.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A ring cairn is a prehistoric ritual monument comprising a circular bank of
stones up to 20m in diameter surrounding a hollow central area. The bank may
be kerbed on the inside, and sometimes on the outside as well, with small
uprights or laid boulders. Ring cairns are found mainly in upland areas of
England and are mostly discovered and authenticated by fieldwork and ground
level survey, although a few are large enough to be visible on aerial
photographs. They often occur in pairs or small groups of up to four examples.
Occasionally they lie within round barrow cemeteries. Ring cairns are
interpreted as ritual monuments of Early and Middle Bronze Age date. The exact
nature of the rituals concerned is not fully understood, but excavation has
revealed pits, some containing burials and others containing charcoal and
pottery, taken to indicate feasting activities associated with the burial
rituals. Many areas of upland have not yet been surveyed in detail and the
number of ring cairns in England is not accurately known. However, available
evidence indicates a population of between 250 and 500 examples. As a
relatively rare class of monument exhibiting considerable variation in form,
all positively identified examples retaining significant archaeological
deposits are considered worthy of preservation.

Although Green Low ringcairn has been partially disturbed by excavation, the
outer bank and much of the interior are reasonably well preserved and will
contain further significant archaeological remains.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Andrew, WJ, Memorials of Derbyshire, (1907)
Barnatt, J, The Peak District Barrow Survey (1989), (1989)
Barnatt, J, The Peak District Barrow Survey (1989), (1989)
Bunting, W B, Chapel-en-le-Frith, (1940)
Marsden, B M, The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire , (1977)
Tristram, E, 'Derbyshire Archaeological Journal' in The Stone Circle Known as the Bull Ring, Doveholes, (1915)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.