Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hayholme moated site

A Scheduled Monument in Brandesburton, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9058 / 53°54'20"N

Longitude: -0.3392 / 0°20'21"W

OS Eastings: 509206.186187

OS Northings: 446791.32336

OS Grid: TA092467

Mapcode National: GBR VR28.CM

Mapcode Global: WHGDZ.R3N2

Entry Name: Hayholme moated site

Scheduled Date: 13 December 1978

Last Amended: 13 May 1994

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1008043

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21184

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Brandesburton

Built-Up Area: Beeford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Leven Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: York

Details

The monument is Hayholme moated site. It includes a sub-rectangular central
island surrounded by a water-logged moat. The central island measures
43m east-west by 34m north-south. The surrounding moat is 10m wide and up to
3m deep. The northern arm of the moat is crossed by an earthen causeway. At
the western end of the northern arm a section of the moat was redug and
revetted with brick in the 19th century to form a farm pond and horse-wash.
The island has an uneven surface and fragments of burnt brick and pottery have
been found on it, indicating the presence and survival of structural remains.
The manor was the ancient home of the Noel family but was gifted to the abbey
of Meaux before 1160. By 1390 the site was the abbey's principal cattle farm.
Buildings on the island were demolished and replaced by structures external
to the moat, probably on the site now occupied by modern buildings, between
1372 and 1396.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Despite limited disturbance to the moat, the monument survives well and is
historically well documented. Organic material will be preserved within the
moat and structural and artefactual evidence will be preserved on the island.
Its association with Meaux Abbey will contribute to an understanding of the
wider activities and economy which helped support the monastic community.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Fallow, T M, The Victoria History of the County of Yorkshire, (1913), 149
Le Patourel, H E J, Moated site of Yorkshire, (1973), 110
Loughlin, N, Miller, K, Survey of Archaeological Sites in Humberside, (1979), 30
Platt, C, The Monastic Grange in Medieval England, (1969), 209-210
Poulson, G, History and Antiquities of Humberside, (1840), 355
Bond, E A, 'Rolls Series' in Chronica Monasteri de Melsa, , Vol. 3, (1866), 228

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.