Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Hatfield Cross

A Scheduled Monument in Hatfield, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8683 / 53°52'5"N

Longitude: -0.1949 / 0°11'41"W

OS Eastings: 518787.885001

OS Northings: 442847.809979

OS Grid: TA187428

Mapcode National: GBR WR2Q.L2

Mapcode Global: WHHGC.Z1BC

Entry Name: Great Hatfield Cross

Scheduled Date: 5 December 1928

Last Amended: 11 October 1993

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1007724

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21203

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Hatfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Mappleton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Details

The monument is the medieval standing wayside cross in Great Hatfield. It
stands at the east end of the modern village on an island at the junction of
Cross Street and Main Street.
The cross, which has lost its head, stands 3m tall overall. The decorated
shaft is 1.75m high; it stands on a carved block base 1m square and 0.5m deep
and a plinth of worn stone slabs.
The block base and cross-shaft are decorated with carved figures and motifs.
The base has a crouched lion carved in relief on each face. The southern and
eastern faces of the shaft are decorated with a vine-scroll pattern, while the
western face has a carved geometric zig-zag pattern running down it. On the
northern face of the shaft there is a poorly preserved carved human figure.
The figure is wearing a mitre and cope and is either a bishop or saint.
The Hatfield Cross is also listed Grade II.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 1 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A standing medieval cross is a free-standing upright structure which bears a
head consisting of the arms of a cross, lantern, glode, or finial. Crosses
vary in their degree of elaboration, ranging from simple orthostats to highly
ornate constructions. Components to be expected of the simpler type may take
the form of an embellished pinnacle or spire. The most complex have a shaft
which is raised upon an open-sided shelter. Surviving standing crosses are
almost invariably made of stone although it is known that many former crosses
were made of wood and have since disappeared. The main purpose of raising
standing crosses was to encourage remembrance and worship of Christ. In
practice, standing crosses served a considerable variety of other functions.
Those erected in churchyards served as stations for outdoor processions and
were closely associated with Palm Sunday solemnities. Outside churchyards
standing crosses were used as places for preaching, the definition of the
extent of rights of sanctuary and places of public proclamation and penance.
Standing crosses were also employed to mark parish and property boundaries or
to define the edges of settlements. Wayside crosses sometimes marked routes
across difficult terrain and also appear to have been used as setting-down
places for corpses during funeral journeys. Many crosses were erected and used
between c.1050-1540. Comparatively few medieval standing crosses now survive
intact. Those originally embellished with statuary and imagery, particularly
on the cross head, were prone to damage or destruction by iconoclasts,
particularly the Puritans.
Despite post-Reformation damage including the loss of the cross head Great
Hatfield Cross survives reasonably well and still retains visible
architectural and figurative medieval decoration. The cross stands in its
original position and will preserve archaeological information on its original
setting, and contribute to an understanding of its original function.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 243
Poulson, G, The History and Antiquities of Holderness, (1840), 444

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.