This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1633 / 52°9'47"N
Longitude: 1.2796 / 1°16'46"E
OS Eastings: 624396.527252
OS Northings: 256740.414086
OS Grid: TM243567
Mapcode National: GBR VN1.6BQ
Mapcode Global: VHLB9.4W9H
Entry Name: Moated site at Redhouse Farm
Scheduled Date: 22 July 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1007684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 21320
Civil Parish: Charsfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Charsfield with Debach St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
The monument includes a moated site, located on a spur 600m to the north of
Potsford Brook, close to the northern boundary of Charsfield parish and
approximately 1km north-west of the village. The moated site survives as a
rectilinear platform, partly enclosed by a water-filled ditch which is
approximately 2m deep and 6m to 9m in width. The platform comprises a
quadrangular area with maximum dimensions of approximately 67m east-west by
38m north-south, with a rectangular projection, measuring 20m east-west by 18m
north-south internally, on the western end of the south side. The moat ditch
surrounds the north-eastern corner and the east and south sides of the
platform, with an offset delimiting the east, south and west sides of the
projecting area to the south. On the south side of the projecting area it is
crossed by a causeway. The western arm of the moat has been largely filled
in, except at its southern end, and the west side of the platform is defined
in part by a narrower drain, following the same line. The infilled moat ditch
survives as a buried feature below and to the east of the drain, where it is
marked by a slight hollow in the ground surface, and to the north, where its
outer edge is visible as a slight scarp, approximately 0.3m in height. A
hollow, approximately 8m wide and 0.3m deep in the adjoining ground surface to
the east, marks what appears to be a short, infilled internal ditch
projecting from the centre of the western arm of the moat into the interior.
The northern arm of the moat survives mostly as a buried feature, although it
is visible on the east side of the monument, where it borders the platform for
approximately 18m, and continues eastwards from the north-eastern corner
for a distance of approximately 35m. This eastern extension of the ditch is
dry and measures 5m in width and 1m in depth.
Excluded from the scheduling are a modern concrete causeway at the eastern end
of the southern arm of the moat, which separates it from the eastern arm in
which the water level is up to 1m lower, the dwelling-house which stands at
the southern edge of the platform and which is dated in part to the 17th
century and Listed Grade II, the adjacent outbuildings and the driveway, board
fencing and wire fencing surrounding the garden on the inner edge of the moat,
associated posts and gates, all service pipes and cables, all inspection
chambers and an old pump head to the north of the house, but the ground
beneath all these buildings and features is included.
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
Source: Historic England
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site at Redhouse Farm is of an unusual form and is one of a group
within a radius of approximately 4km which, together, illustrate the diversity
of this class of monument. The central platform and a large part of the moat
survive well and will retain valuable archaeological information concerning
the construction and use of the site.
Source: Historic England
Other nearby scheduled monuments