Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dovecote called the 'Culver House', 330m SSW of Lower Bussow Farm

A Scheduled Monument in St. Ives, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1957 / 50°11'44"N

Longitude: -5.5063 / 5°30'22"W

OS Eastings: 149853.655918

OS Northings: 38738.519001

OS Grid: SW498387

Mapcode National: GBR DXS5.8LY

Mapcode Global: VH12L.HBXT

Entry Name: Dovecote called the 'Culver House', 330m SSW of Lower Bussow Farm

Scheduled Date: 4 September 1930

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1006690

English Heritage Legacy ID: CO 119

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Ives

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Towednack

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Details

The monument includes a dovecote, situated at the southern foot of Rosewall Hill. The dovecote survives as a squat, circular rubble-built building with a conical stone roof. The dovecote measures 6m in diameter overall. Its walls are 1.3m thick and it stands to a height of approximately 7m. There is an entrance to the WNW and there are several holes in the wall to allow access for the pigeons or doves. The dovecote is of medieval date, perhaps dating as early as the 13th century.
The dovecote is Listed Grade II* (69120).

Sources: HER:-
PastScape Monument No:-423122

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Dovecotes are specialised structures designed for the breeding and keeping of doves as a source of food and as a symbol of high social status. Most surviving examples were built in the period between the 14th and the 17th centuries, although both earlier and later examples are documented. They were generally freestanding structures, square or circular in plan and normally of brick or stone, with nesting boxes built into the internal wall. They were frequently sited at manor houses or monasteries. They are also generally regarded as an important component of local distinctiveness and character. The dovecote called the 'Culver House', 330m SSW of Lower Bussow Farm remains intact. In addition to its architectural interest, it will retain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, use, longevity, agricultural practices and overall landscape context.

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.